NEVERMORE

completely agree. TGE sounds good but kind of 2 dimensional and safe?, whereas Dead heart is much more in your face and agressive sounding (especially the guitars). I think it is just phases producers go thru, andy's stuff a few years back like dead heart, disembody, the gathering, alive or just breathing, declaration etc had a really aggressive in your face mix whereas .............

Totally agree too, I think andy in the past used to have more grainy guitars, I mean a little bit of more fizz that was great, fucking great.
And the big difference is the snare, he used to use samples a lot cracky.
Now he's more into fat mixes.
I clearly remember when he said that with all this kind of music, that is so technical and fast he couldn't make a fat album like the black album.
I think these days maybe he changed his approach and in fact he's doing fat sounding productions that I like so much.
But I think a little of that in your face sound would be great to hear again.

I seem to be pretty much alone on this one, but I just bought myself the Enemies of Reality Remix, and the guitar tone, especially noticeable on the intro to Ambivalence, sounds absolutely fantastic. I definitely prefer it to This Godless Endeavor. There's just something about the sound of the mids that is just so punchy. Any idea on the amps used to this album? Not particularly interested in settings, I just need to know about the amp, and I'll do the rest.

Also, is there somewhere I can pick up, or atleast hear the original versions? I'd love to see how the album changed.

Oh man... Seriously? They weren't reamped or anything for the remix version? No matter how hard I try I cannot get tone of out a recto at all. I don't get it, I've spent hours with the damn things :erk:

EDIT: Seen as it's Mesa, and I fail at using them, if there are settings kickin around, that'd be cool

YARR! Noise101 BE MOVED!

[Wait, what th- get off my computer!]

AHOY! THARR BE DISTRACTION!

[How the fuck did you get in here? Out!]

HANDS OFF ME, SCALAWAG!

*Scuffle ensues*

Sorry about that, Search Pirate occasionally breaks into my home and states the obvious. Look up Noise101, these settings are there for DHIADW's Recto sound.

Noise101 said:
DEAD HEART IN A DEAD WORLD:
Custom Built 7 String Guitar loaded with EMG 707 pickups. The guitars were routed into a Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer that was used as a signal boost. The settings on the TS-9 were:

Drive: 9 O'Clock
Tone: 10 O'Clock
Level: 12 O'Clock

This was fed into the amp that was used on all of the rhythm and leads. The amp used was a Mesa Boogie (2 Channel) Dual Rectifier that was straight from the box. The Mesa Recto was routed into a Marshall 1960B 4X12 Cab with the stock 75 Celestions they have. Settings on the Mesa Recto were:

Silicon Diode Setting
Bold Setting
Red (Modern) Channel
Treble: 11.30
Mids: 10 O'Clock
Bass: 11.30
Gain: 12:30
Presence: 12.30
Master: 10 O'Clock

There were 4 tracks of rhythm, with 2 tracks being panned 100% left and right, and the other set being panned 80% left and right. There was no compression, limiting, etc…only a slight touch of EQ used. Two Shure SM-57's were used for recording, one on the center of the cone about an inch away. This was the approximate's denoted by Andy Sneap previously.

Jeff