New Songs "DISCUSSION ONLY" thread

aestusmaris@hotmail.com said:
Well, I've just listened to Ghost of Perdition, TGC did dampen my hopes on GR but as many have said this raises expectations even more than before. I'm also loving those vocals, good to see some variety. 7.34 onwards is fucking beautiful, the rest of the song is good, but would definetely benefit from a better quality than 64kbps. Roll on August 30th, and roll on the day when they come to feckin New Zealand, that dingleberry island hanging off the ass of australia

Fuck off back to england then pommy boy

jeanreno said:
I like how even though Steven Wilson had nothing to do with this album, people still bring him up.

Do you think just because he no longer produces Opeth they don't draw influences from PT anymore? Just listen to GOP and the end of PTs 'Trains' and you know what I mean.

Actually, I thought the "distorted clean vocals" part of GoP sounded similar to the PT song "So Called Friend". So I do partly agree with you.

You know, I seriously wonder how 'Hours Of Wealth' is going to sound like, because after listening to GOP and TGC right after that it feels like TGC will perhaps be some sort of a climax to a tension built up before. These two tracks already work remarkably well together, and contrary to common opinion I must say that I like TGC even more now that I heard GOP.

Volxzorn said:
I must say that I like TGC even more now that I heard GOP.

Me too! I must now keep myself from listening to these songs anymore, or else the album will probably sound different to me than it's supposed to... or something

Nice "review", Volxzorn, thanks ;) (Even if I don't agree about Karma and its awesome ending)
I didn't listen to these 2 songs, I'm even more impatient to hear the whole album after reading your comments.

Chaostar said:
Nice "review", Volxzorn, thanks ;) (Even if I don't agree about Karma and its awesome ending)
I didn't listen to these 2 songs, I'm even more impatient to hear the whole album after reading your comments.
I dare you to download them, but then not to open them at all. Mission impossible.

hmm, really, some riffs reminds me Envy, Neurosis, Tool, Porcupine Tree and some earlier Opeth...
Drums sounds kinda really bad... Mikael's vocals sounds too evil (read: stupid) songs structure is a mess... well dunno. I liked GC much...much more!

Volxzorn said:
Besides, Opeth already had worse near closing tracks (Funeral Portrait: mediocre, even more repetitive, Serenity Painted Death: never worked for me, dunno why, Karma: plain sucked).

:OMG:

While SPD isn't the best song on Still Life, it's definitly in the top 15/20 Opeth songs.

Karma rules, especially the awesome vocals at like 1:00 in.

TFP is a bit disjointed, but has some of the best Opeth riffage in recent history.

(new member here)

I have had to listen to GoP quite a few times to appreciate it. Especially the cheerful vocals. Actually, although I now love all Opeth's albums, I originally really struggled with SL and BWP, and still cringe a little bit during the churpy parts of Bleak and The Moor (I seem to be the only person around who ever objected to these two songs, must just be me)... But in time, after 40 - 50 listens, those albums ended up having the greatest enduring appeal for me... I'm going through the same process with GoP.

...that bit at 6:00.... crikey, it's good.

Anyway, I think most of us would agree that Opeth just seem to have done it again. Opeth could really go down in history as the only band who released 8 records so far and all of them owned!

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
Opeth could really go down in history as the only band who released 8 records so far and all of them owned!

>> the first 8 pink floyd records own too :)

OMG, can't believe I forgot them, and I've just listened to Animals half an hour ago :yell: