New Songs "DISCUSSION ONLY" thread

Well ive had a listen to both songs and whilst i'm immediately impressed with TGC, GOP hasnt grabbed me at all yet. Hopefully when i have it as a full album it'll be a different story, since Opeth are generally regarded as an album sort of band

I don't get how people say "I don't like it now but I know I'll like it when I get the album." You either like it or you don't.

shit like all of opeth's music

shifts haphazardly from idea to idea with no unifying sense of purpose or structure. annoying/cheesy clean vocals, overproduced and way too loud death vocals.

polarity said:
shit like all of opeth's music

shifts haphazardly from idea to idea with no unifying sense of purpose or structure. annoying/cheesy clean vocals, overproduced and way too loud death vocals.

Nice that you came here to share your opinion. Now, go back to bed. :wave:

The last riff at the very ending of GoP is by the way very nice! Had to play it over and over again..

Savoy Truffle said:
Nice that you came here to share your opinion. Now, go back to bed. :wave:

The last riff at the very ending of GoP is by the way very nice! Had to play it over and over again..

thats not a very good counter argument

NeverIsForever said:
Okay polarity, if Opeth sucks then name a band we SHOULD be listening to?

And DON'T post a link to that shit song you made a thread about the other day...

its pointless because the music i like is too advanced for simpletons who think opeth is the pinnacle of man's musical achievement to comprehend, and even if by some freak accident you liked some of it, i wouldn't want opeth fans polluting the fanbases of the bands i like anyway.

polarity said:
its pointless because the music i like is too advanced for simpletons who think opeth is the pinnacle of man's musical achievement to comprehend, and even if by some freak accident you liked some of it, i wouldn't want opeth fans polluting the fanbases of the bands i like anyway.

They wouldn't pollute the fanbases because all they're going to do is say the band sucks because you called Opeth shitty.

Hmmmm i just downloaded GoP and I have to say although there are parts which are absolutely awesome (6.35) and other bits, there are too many clean vocals, his vocal melodic line is too wandery and lacks direction. The music is awesome but his vocals are too aimless. I have to say the music is fucking delicious though. Perhaps I'll get used to the clean vocals, it is my first listen. Nice solos too, 8:00 = \m/

This track has restored all hope for this album, already, TGC sounds better in conjuction. Damn sirius station for confusing us all. This has the same atmosphere as deliverance yet strangely gives me a still life and mayh feel. That bodes extremelly well since those three are the best albums.

The riffs here though are so much better than what they've put out before. Forget all riffs they've previously done so you don't hear the self-influences and these riffs are far better and direct than their others

TehLeperAffinity said:
They wouldn't pollute the fanbases because all they're going to do is say the band sucks because you called Opeth shitty.

this is a good point, opeth fans do tend to be immature, reactionary, overly-emotional and overly-defensive. pretty essential traits to enjoy opeth's music actually, given its christian nature.

and i dont like nachtfalke