• Jens Bogren

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • Steven Wilson

Votes: 128 63.7%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 26 12.9%

• Total voters
ThreadNecromancer.jpg

well, I just had to add this one as well because it seems like it has become a trend to resurrect old threads:

Thread_Necromancy.jpg

Jens did everything right. SW's style is too cold and digital sometimes, especially with Deliverance. I agree with what Samsara said about GR having an ORGANIC feel, and that applies to Watershed too.

remember that the basic sound wasnt really crafted by sw. It was mastered by andy sneap.. and if blackwaterpark is anything to go by with sw in the mix and mastering chair, then i dont think wilson is to blame for the digi sound D&D have.

I kind of like the rawness of deliverance especially. It is sort of black/white brutal but subtle in many ways, I'm thinking of parts like the big acoustic passage in A Fair Judgement. Deliverance is unyielding, it is an "in your face" album in many ways but in a beautiful way, I think.

And the drums, holy cow!

Did Wilson even really do anything for Opeth, other than producing the vocals, writing some brief lyrics on the Damnation album, and being a guest vocalist?

I dont' think so. Even in interviews, Mikael has said that he has always been Opeth's producer, and Wilson was just there to help him with the vocals.

If that's the case, I don't know why it matters so much to you guys.

I kind of like the rawness of deliverance especially. It is sort of black/white brutal but subtle in many ways, I'm thinking of parts like the big acoustic passage in A Fair Judgement. Deliverance is unyielding, it is an "in your face" album in many ways but in a beautiful way, I think.

And the drums, holy cow!

agree agree agree. some are turned off by deliverance's cold sound, but to me andy sneap mastered it perfectly. he must have known the circumstances that opeth was under when writing the D & D, because Deliverance is nothing less than a brutal and cold record that lets u know how shitty and rushed opeth was in the studio.