Official GMD Photo/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm no scientist but i'd assume that changes like that, consisting over only a short period of years, wouldn't really be considered as any type of evidence of real climate change, but only a regular variance. wouldn't any real change in temperature due to global warming and things of those nature take a very long period of time? but i have no idea what i'm talking about. just an idea.

Not much of a photo, but an image nevertheless.

Theodor Kittelsen - responsible for some of the great artworks we saw with Burzum's later releases (post Det Som Engang Var anyway), including my avatar.

More info on him here.

38.jpg

We could increase our rate of pollution a thousand fold and the planet would just shake it off. Pretty soon we're all going to die; become extinct. Disease, famine, natural disasters, wars, all of which will wipe out our pathetic species before our grandchildren can grow old. And guess what? A few hundred years after the last human perishes, the planet will be back to normal. Environmentalists can fuck off, they're to egotistical.

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
We could increase our rate of pollution a thousand fold and the planet would just shake it off. Pretty soon we're all going to die; become extinct. Disease, famine, natural disasters, wars, all of which will wipe out our pathetic species before our grandchildren can grow old. And guess what? A few hundred years after the last human perishes, the planet will be back to normal. Environmentalists can fuck off, they're to egotistical.

No offense but I'm pretty sure you are also fucking retarded.

Why, because I realize that recycling is pointless when humans have and will have made a negligible impact upon the environment on this planet? Is it retarded to realize that humanity is just a flash in the pan that actually has no significance whatsoever?

Wait, humans have made a negligible impact upon this planet? Since when.

I KNOW humanity is extremely transient and ephemeral...but this theory generates zero discussion and is basically just defeatist crap.

Yes, it is defeatist, in the sense that I realize the insignificance of humanity. Do you honestly think you can change the world for the better? Do you think a million people could, or even a billion? A change could be made, but in the grand scope of things, it would be negligible. There are facts here that trump everything that environmentalism and conservation could possibly accomplish: our species will become extinct, and our planet will recover relatively quickly from any damage we have incurred.

edit: @Hubster - I don't believe I said that humans are not affecting the environment. It's just that we are not affecting it significantly. Everyone here is thinking in terms of human time, not geologic time. I feel it is more than likely that in 1 million years the only evidence of our existence will be in fossils, and the air and water will most likely be nice and clean.

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
Yes, it is defeatist, in the sense that I realize the insignificance of humanity. Do you honestly think you can change the world for the better? Do you think a million people could, or even a billion? A change could be made, but in the grand scope of things, it would be negligible. There are facts here that trump everything that environmentalism and conservation could possibly accomplish: our species will become extinct, and our planet will recover relatively quickly from any damage we have incurred.

edit: @Hubster - I don't believe I said that humans are not affecting the environment. It's just that we are not affecting it significantly. Everyone here is thinking in terms of human time, not geologic time. I feel it is more than likely that in 1 million years the only evidence of our existence will be in fossils, and the air and water will most likely be nice and clean.

No I don't think I can change a thing and I'm not planning to. I don't really care either way. Big fucking deal. We are born, we die. We all already knew we're worthless, why come in here and start a whole thing about it, haha.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
No I don't think I can change a thing and I'm not planning to. I don't really care either way. Big fucking deal. We are born, we die. We all already knew we're worthless, why come in here and start a whole thing about it, haha.

Because it makes for interesting conversation, and we are not worthless once we add in our future generations AND the (if one believes in one) and afterlife or any post-death "go places thingy."

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:

Yes, humanity is insignificant, but the damage trhat we've created isn't. By the time we're extinct, the effect of a (future) damaged environment isn't going to be akin to 65 million years ago, it will be much worse, because we will sicken this planet to it's core with our weapons by the time we vanish off it's surface.

Yes, perhaps it will heal itself. but I don't see it being something on a rapid timescale at all. Regardless, it doesn't give us the right to blunder around chopping things to pieces, scouring whatever we like and destroying the balance of life around us, which we NEED to survive. I just don't see it as a logical justification.

Keep another thing in mind: by the time above occurs, China and India will have become fully industrialised, an doubt no Russia will rise once again too by such a time (I speak of decades to come). How will the planet handle that extra load, with a possible seven fully industrialised nations when it's already buckling under the current load?

Edit:

I am thinking in geological timeframes, but because of said industrialisation, the earth would not have experienced such a rate of deep poisoning before. Thin scars heal, yes. But "deep wounds", "infections" etc... on a planetary scale, these will take a very LONG time to heal. Again, it still doesn't give us the right to mindlessly ruin our surroundings. It's not good for us as a species.

I also understand there are various periods of Ice Ages, and some of those are warm. And yes, I also realise we are in one right now.

.. But we are pushing it further. The evidence is all around us, we are pushing our home to it's limits and sooner or later it will burst when global industrialisation becomes a reality.

We are already running out of one natural resource: oil. Unless, during the period of global industrialisation, that we may come up with friendlier energy sources (which could have been done in the 1920's with Tesla's experiments in harmless, free, limitless electromagnetic energy), then we are truly in a deep pile of shit folks.

I don't want to sound all apocalyptic here, but I just think it's not a "negotiable reality" unless we take this last chance to get our finger on the pulse.

Status
Not open for further replies.