Official GMD Photo/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're saying that telling people to be open minded is... close minded?

I push Jeff Buckley and Nick Cave and Tom Waits down people's throats because they're twice the genius of anyone who's ever picked up a guitar in the name of "metal", and I never would have known that if I was still stuck in the mentality of most metal guys that there's "metal" and there's "everything else".

imo.

What i'm saying is, if people are looking for something different then they will seek it out themselves, and thats when you provide some musical direction to suit what it is they are after. Not to cram crap down their throat when they didn't ask for it, which is just like pushing your religion onto someone how doesn't want it. But mostly because this is a metal forum, so i don't see why you feel so honoured about recommending these "superior" artists, when half of us don't give a shit. :Smokin:

Reactions: audiophileguy
What i'm saying is, if people are looking for something different then they will seek it out themselves, and thats when you provide some musical direction to suit what it is they are after. Not to cram crap down their throat when they didn't ask for it, which is just like pushing your religion onto someone how doesn't want it. But mostly because this is a metal forum, so i don't see why you feel so honoured about recommending these "superior" artists, when half of us don't give a shit. :Smokin:

Right on, brother. :kickass:

Many idiots who like metal refuse to listen to what he does due to the "it's pussy shit" line, forcing it on them is sometimes the only way.

Many idiots who like metal refuse to listen to what he does due to the "it's pussy shit" line, forcing it on them is sometimes the only way.

and many idiots who don't like metal use the 'it's screaming and noise' line, but I still don't force it on them or say 'oh you should listen to Band X', because they don't want to know and that's fine.

BTW I don't actually care if Grimace, Wires & Waves and whoever else talks about almost solely other genres continue with their non-metal posts.

No alot of the time some of that music just plainly sucks like tom waits for example how can you consider a guy that writes a song about eating eggs sausage and bacon and cant sing worth a shit a genious? I always thought that guy and frank zappa are the most overated musicians i had ever listened to along with that idiot Cat Stevens.

No alot of the time some of that music just plainly sucks like tom waits for example how can you consider a guy that writes a song about eating eggs sausage and bacon and cant sing worth a shit a genious? I always thought that guy and frank zappa are the most overated musicians i had ever listened to along with that idiot Cat Stevens.

It is because the SONG WRITING is fucking outstanding, who cares what the guy sings about and that his voice may not be the best, his music is great. Indie, pop, rock, etc. it is all song writing which makes so much of it so great.

and many idiots who don't like metal use the 'it's screaming and noise' line, but I still don't force it on them or say 'oh you should listen to Band X', because they don't want to know and that's fine.

BTW I don't actually care if Grimace, Wires & Waves and whoever else talks about almost solely other genres continue with their non-metal posts.

At the very least I try to educate those people and dispell the stereotypical image they have of what metal is ...

Meh, his music is boring and overated i'll even throw mr dylan into the mix of stuff i just dont get why this always the rage thier music is not that good. I think Peter Murphy, The Church, Midnight Oil, Sisters Of Mercy amongst a few others had better
alt/college rock songs imho.

el oh fucking lawlzerlawlomfg @ sisters of mercy being > tom waits.

holy fucking lawl.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

there is no sufficient number of lawls.

you're wrong because you're ignorant. you know nothing about tom waits. you heard him once, or never.

there's not a single song about "eggs and bacon" or what the fuck ever on any of his 70s albums all the way up to Heartattack and Vine. every one of those songs was about real stuff, real people, stories about hookers and bums and gangsters and drunks and a few of the most beautiful love songs ever written by anyone.

his 80s stuff, the weird stuff, was utterly fucking revolutionary. his lyrics on Rain Dogs cover more artistic ground than just about any other album that has ever been recorded. it was absolutely bizarre and mind bending at times without losing his trademark narrative storytelling. AND he continued to write several straight up love songs and great ballads into and throughout his "experimental" period...

and i don't even need to try to explain how un fucking believably diverse his 90s-00s stuff is, both lyrically and musically.

you should prolly stfu when you don't know what you're talking about and the person you're talking to does.

and waits is a fantastic singer. he's got quite an impressive range and an exceptionally strong falsetto when he wants too. but normally he's content to grunt and howl and bark because he's a fucking genius and he doesn't care what you think.

:)

+1 rep

okay you fuckin' idiot thier is a song called eggs and sausage douchebag and another song with the same reference in Emotional Weather Report and yes unfortunately thier is a bar in broad ripple that plays his shit all of the time and it's the most boring redundant shit i ever listen to him and bob dylan both. Just my opinion and i am not trying to argue with anyone.

i completely forgot that that song was called 'eggs and sausage', but it's in no way about eggs and sausage. it's one line in the song. if that's your argument, then... i feel sorry for you.

badger.gif

el oh fucking lawlzerlawlomfg @ sisters of mercy being > tom waits.

holy fucking lawl.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

there is no sufficient number of lawls.

you're wrong because you're ignorant. you know nothing about tom waits. you heard him once, or never.

there's not a single song about "eggs and bacon" or what the fuck ever on any of his 70s albums all the way up to Heartattack and Vine. every one of those songs was about real stuff, real people, stories about hookers and bums and gangsters and drunks and a few of the most beautiful love songs ever written by anyone.

his 80s stuff, the weird stuff, was utterly fucking revolutionary. his lyrics on Rain Dogs cover more artistic ground than just about any other album that has ever been recorded. it was absolutely bizarre and mind bending at times without losing his trademark narrative storytelling. AND he continued to write several straight up love songs and great ballads into and throughout his "experimental" period...

and i don't even need to try to explain how un fucking believably diverse his 90s-00s stuff is, both lyrically and musically.

you should prolly stfu when you don't know what you're talking about and the person you're talking to does.

and waits is a fantastic singer. he's got quite an impressive range and an exceptionally strong falsetto when he wants too. but normally he's content to grunt and howl and bark because he's a fucking genius and he doesn't care what you think.

:)
iyhomo

Status
Not open for further replies.