Official GMD Photo/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why because the person/people are not gaining comfort and security in fantasy ?. It seems like religious people are more using it as security and comfort rather than their actually being a god and heaven. That's my opinion.

Not really. I think those words decribe the belief that "we are an accident and life is pointless" quite accuratley. Atheist's themselves can be fine people, but their take on the meaning of life is pretty bleak.

I don't know any Atheists that believe that life is pointless. And what's so bleak about the big bang/evolution theories? They're far more interesting and downright amazing to behold than believing that as long as I follow a set of rules I can fly up to heaven and live in eternal peace. You're painting your own bleak picture of Atheism based on your own bias.

In the end, Titanic was set up perfectly. Crazy special effects, a historical event, and a universally themed romantic love drama between a wealthy women and a poor man, I think it had everything thing that people love. Like it or not, it was perfectly executed.

That's my final word.

Peste Noire is a fucking great Black metal band, btw. I wish I had checked out Neige much earlier.

I don't know any Atheists that believe that life is pointless. And what's so bleak about the big bang/evolution theories? They're far more interesting and downright amazing to behold than believing that as long as I follow a set of rules I can fly up to heaven and live in eternal peace. You're painting your own bleak picture of Atheism based on your own bias.

My own bias? Please. I'm not religious, so where exactly is my bias? I think the idea that humanity is an accident is bleak and cynical, and I'm biased? How, exactly? Explain to be what my "bias" is, I'd love to hear this.

Evolution is a fact as far as I'm concerned. I just can't believe that, beyond our plain of existence, there's nothing. To me, the idea that there's no "God" or some supreme being sort of makes life pointless.

I might aswell say something else about titanic. I saw this in a crouded theater in connecticut while visiting relatives and just about everyone was crying(not kidding). Tickets and popcorn also were ten times more expensive than they are here and I just felt so ripped off. I was in this theater with girls crying for the last 1,2 hours of the movie.

i'm scarred :zombie:

Now I only watch violent movies!

The last movie I watched was about females and hookers being strangled.

Symbolism in Titanic I typed this up for 4 hours last night instead of working on my thesis because some people in another thread got me all riled up over Titanic with the usual "it's a silly girl movie" and "love stories are stupid and trite!" Blah blah blah.

Basically, if you go into something expecting(wanting..) to hate it, you will.

edit: This blog does not explain at all the significance of Titanic then, or its continuing significance now. However, if you want me to explain that as well, I'd be more than happy to. (Just let me get some schoolwork done first :()

I might aswell say something else about titanic. I saw this in a crouded theater in connecticut while visiting relatives and just about everyone was crying(not kidding). Tickets and popcorn also were ten times more expensive than they are here and I just felt so ripped off. I was in this theater with girls crying for the last 1,2 hours of the movie.

i'm scarred :zombie:

Now I only watch violent movies!

The last movie I watched was about females and hookers being strangled.
:lol:

Symbolism in Titanic I typed this up for 4 hours last night instead of working on my thesis because some people in another thread got me all riled up over Titanic with the usual "it's a silly girl movie" and "love stories are stupid and trite!" Blah blah blah.

Basically, if you go into something expecting(wanting..) to hate it, you will.

edit: This blog does not explain at all the significance of Titanic then, or its continuing significance now. However, if you want me to explain that as well, I'd be more than happy to. (Just let me get some schoolwork done first :()

This read like an 8th grade book report with good vocabulary. You only summarized the movie, and the reason you can't find any lasting significance of the film is because there IS NO LASTING SIGNIFICANCE. It was a James Cameron hollywood cash cow.

If you want something with significance, watch Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver. This is hollywood dreck.

the terminator duo (ignoring #3 obviously) pretty much set the pace for action movies over the last 20 years. the concept of the movie wasnt really what made it such a landmark, it was the way the movie was made and what it achieved from a production standpoint. plus, it was an original concept and it was done fucking well. you could make anything sound derivative by generalising THAT much. plus any movie with GNR on the soundtrack wins.

Every "action" movie of the last 20 years has been fucking awful. It was NOT an original concept. The first Terminator is entertaining at the very least, since it contains campy one-liners and the ever-present homoeroticism that 80's action films carried.

Tool has a new guitarist:

%20aussie%20open%20champ.jpg

Serena Williams. :worship:

When the fuck did I say I couldn't find any lasting significance to the film?

Don't put words in my mouth.

Sorry the essay wasn't fancy enough for you. And it wasn't a summary of the movie, it skipped all over the place, retouched upon things that were already spoken of, all to point out certain themes and symbols that occur throughout the film. It sounds like you didn't even bother reading it, I don't see how else you would see it as a summary.

I'm sorry JP, but you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. It wasn't "a cash cow". In fact, most people, before it came out, thought it would do very poorly. Cameron wasn't concerned with it becoming the blockbuster of the century. He put all of his fucking money into this thing, to him it was more about finally making a film that meant more to him than just action and special effects, it was his masterpiece, the culmination of years of being a director.

I hate how you keep biasing the film simply because Cameron directed it. Forget Cameron! Forget he directed it. The film was a joint effort anyway. Not one person made this film, it is a product of hundreds of people's hard work. And I think it shows. No other film has given me the out-of-body experience that Titanic did. Sure I'll watch Taxi driver. Is it going to take me out of my body and shake me and make me feel both frozen and more alive than ever at the same time? Because I'll admit you're right, if it does.

Cameron is a fantastic director. Terminator 1 and 2, Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies, Titanic. Good list.

But Titanic even if its not your type of movie (its not my type of movie), it is still a truly moving picture, unless you are a heartless cunt.

Cameron is a fantastic director. Terminator 1 and 2, Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies, Titanic. Good list.

Yeah, if you think Jerry Bruckheimer is a creative mastermind. There's no auteurist drive in anything Cameron does, it's all $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...

EDIT: True Lies? Lowest common denominator-aimed "action comedy" with the lamest script ever? Yeah, real great. Aliens wasn't anywhere near even scratching the surface of Scott's Alien, and Terminator is just popcorn entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.