Official National Hockey League Thread

I'm approaching this draft with cautious optimism.

We don't have the resources to move up too much, but if Werenski is available would 19+Mantha get you to say 10? It'll be interesting to see.

Don't specifically want another lefty, but need high end defensive prospects sinces it's more and more clear that we aren't getting much more than maybe middle pairing guys out of our current group.

Shame Sproul is looking to not pan out, if his defensive game was even just average he'd be exactly what this team needs.

I hear that Juulsen is a pretty solid prospect (should go later than 19 though) and then there's like 5 LHD prospects in the late 20s. I think you're fine if you trade back rather than go for the big play. Detroit's time is done anyways, Tampa and NYI are going to dominate the east for awhile I think. Hopefully we can knock em down

Griffin Reinhart is a solid D prospect, but didn't seem to be developing well for NYI. They made a good trade and got a damn solid prospect out of it in Mathew Barzal and a high second.

EDIT:

VERY happy with the Wings pick. Wanted a defenseman, but cannot argue with getting a 6'3" 204 lbs high end forward who can play both wing and center in Evgeny Svechnikov.

If he works out as a center our center depth is really solid going forward

Larkin, Sheahan, Svechnikov, Athanasiou

Liking the combination of speed / skill / size down the middle

Last edited by a moderator:
Griffin Reinhart is a solid D prospect, but didn't seem to be developing well for NYI. They made a good trade and got a damn solid prospect out of it in Mathew Barzal and a high second.

To be honest, he was doing well. Kind of hard to get anywhere with the Islanders when their D is already filled.

Boychuk, Leddy, Hamonic, Hickey, De Haan, Vishnovsky.

So kind of hard to get any kind of development out of him when he never really had a chance.

With Edmonton he most likely jumps into the line-up right away.

People on hf were talking about Vatanen for Nyquist (both sides agreed it was fair value and it probably is) and as sad as I'd be to see Goose go that would help both teams a fair amount

Not a left winger specifically, but can play either side

Irrelevant tho since Holland doesn't trade roster players

It would be fair value, but at this point Vatanen's too important. When that thread was made, we still had Wisniewski to take Vatanen's spot on the powerplay if he was ever traded, but now we don't have that luxury, and neither Fowler nor Lindholm can really quarterback a powerplay. We have Shea Theodore in the system, who could eventually replace Vatanen, but he's probably not ready yet.

Franson would likely not have taken anything less than a long term deal

Holland said he was looking for short term deals specifically

Heard there are talks with Brad Richards for a 1 year deal, which I don't know...

Holland doesn't want to give a 7 year deal to Franson? What are his other options? haha

Franson seems good and all, probably end up a little overpaid but you guys only have Sproul for the right side, correct?

Stick with the kids or swing a trade? I dunno.

As far as the right side goes there are Sproul, Marchenko, and Jensen. Sproul is looking more like a bust, Marchenko should be a solid 2nd or 3rd pairing guy, and same for Jensen (wish he would be given more of a chance, he can make the NHL with his skating alone.)

aaannnd now we've signed Brad Richards.

There has to be a trade coming we have way too many forwards.

Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh lol. I don't care how many Elite top 6 forwards you have, your bottom 6 is going to be ass. I find this to be a bad trade for Pittsburgh.

They gave up nothing rospects/players and a draft pick to get him. It is in no way a bad trade for them. Crosby gets his elite winger for once.