Opeth songs you hate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think big climaxes are anatagonistic to Mike's personality, in general. He hates listening to music where you know what's coming next... and obviously hates writing it even more. So naturally this would apply to all aspects of the song, including the ending. I personally HATE when I know a song is about to end (unless its a bad song).

I think big climaxes are anatagonistic to Mike's personality, in general. He hates listening to music where you know what's coming next... and obviously hates writing it even more. So naturally this would apply to all aspects of the song, including the ending. I personally HATE when I know a song is about to end (unless its a bad song).

And that's something that's brought up so often, Mike's dislike toward predictable music.

Climaxes aren't a part of predictable music, they are part of music in general. In Music like Opeth's where there are so many heavy parts and so much atmospheric layering, it's hard to define the climax at times, and I'd say a lot of Opeth songs have several high points.

Climaxes aren't a part of predictable music, they are part of music in general. In Music like Opeth's where there are so many heavy parts and so much atmospheric layering, it's hard to define the climax at times, and I'd say a lot of Opeth songs have several high points.

Well, I didn't mean that there shouldn't be any dynamics or climaxes within the song; I was referring specifically to super-obvious-the-song-is-about-to-end-drumroll type climaxes (like super-drawn out V-I cadences).

Ah, well I suppose I should have read more into what exactly you were saying. I can think of several Opeth songs that end with standard I resolutions, but none as obvious as what you describe aside from In the Mist She Was Standing.

Vivören;7383807 said:
Yeah, because it's shit.
Hours of Wealth shit? How come? Mike's very best vocal performance outside of Watershed and one of the most beautiful bluesy guitar solos I've ever heard. Striking song, if anything.

Oh yeah, and just for the record, I find Hessian Peel to be Opeth's finest song, right along with The Baying of the Hounds and A Fair Judgement. I really can't see why it's "poorly written" - why, because the transition between the prog part and the metal part is sudden? Leave out the fact I don't think it's sudden - that increasing keyboad+bass duo is pretty ominous imo, and the metal part totally takes this song to a surprising new level of intensity. And, well, the string melody... Brought me to tears once, not afraid to admit it. Brilliant song.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7383481 said:
"Hessian peel" poorly written? FUCK OFF!!!

"By the pain..." is poorly written if anything, I admit that, but "Hessian peel"? Come the fuck on!!!

Fun thread overall, haha! Nice title! "Songs you HATE"...gee, kids are different these days, or maybe not?

Cheers guys!
Mike

Hessian Peel is my absolute favorite Opeth track in a few years now.
Absolutely beautiful, and - a possible sign of the direction the band is going? If so, I'm definitely coming along for THAT ride

and tbh a lot of the stuff off Orchid I dont listen to much, although I concede it needs to have happened for Opeth to progress into the band they are today

I always expected I wouldn't like Orchid. It was the last album I bought, but damn if I don't LOVE IT.

I will admit the energy trails off mid-way (valid criticism for the album I think...)

But to start an album with In the Mist She Was Standing...
and then follow that up with Under the Weeping Moon?
And then that cool-ass piano instrumental, Silhouette?

Those first 2 songs alone are like the first 20 minutes of the album, but some of my favorite Opeth experiences so far are right here!
:headbang:

Hours of Wealth shit? How come? Mike's very best vocal performance outside of Watershed and one of the most beautiful bluesy guitar solos I've ever heard. Striking song, if anything.

Oh yeah, and just for the record, I find Hessian Peel to be Opeth's finest song, right along with The Baying of the Hounds and A Fair Judgement. I really can't see why it's "poorly written" - why, because the transition between the prog part and the metal part is sudden? Leave out the fact I don't think it's sudden - that increasing keyboad+bass duo is pretty ominous imo, and the metal part totally takes this song to a surprising new level of intensity. And, well, the string melody... Brought me to tears once, not afraid to admit it. Brilliant song.

Same with Hessian Peel. It fits now to my current mood and stage in life.

Ok HATE is obviously an exaggeration.

I'm going to say; less attractive and I'll try to list one from every album:

Watershed: Porcelain heart. This song isnt bad but compared to the rest of this amazingly kickass album... Burden and Hessian Peel are two great songs that I think, overshadow procelain heart a bit...

Ghost Reveries: N/A I love every song!

Damnation: if I listen to the whole album I couldnt make a distinction since the songs blend together so well as in most of the albums, but I suppose ending credits would get my vote.

Deliverance N/A. My favorite album. I know a lot claim that BTPISIO is a poorly written song and that mikael said it himself and perhaps I would agree that it is one of their lesser songs on the album but thats only because I've read so many others' opinions about it.

Blackwater Park. The title track. I think the beginning and the ending and the acoustic calm parts are brilliant but I can't appreciate the rest of the song to the same extent as with other opeth songs

Still Life: N/A. Perfect concept album.

MAYH: N/A once again, perfect concept album.

Orchid/morningrise. Haven't appreciated the records simply because of bad recordings so I wont mention them.

The only songs I have any distaste for are Under the Weeping Moon and Blackwater Park, only because of the really long, repetitive instrumental breaks. They are kinda cool but seem to drag on forever and by the time it's over you've forgotten how cool the first part of the song was.

I don't like some parts in BTPISIO, but I still really like the song, just less than other opeth songs. That's probably the only thing I don't like about any opeth song, except maybe the ending to Harlequin Forest that I like 50% of the listens and get a bit bored with the other times. Still an amazing song though. And well, if any of these parts would have been something else than Opeth, I would have loved them, it's just that I have a bit higher standards when it comes to them, so it's far from hate, and not even dislike, I just don't love those parts.

Yes I'm a bit too much of a fanboy for my own good.

The only songs I have any distaste for are Under the Weeping Moon and Blackwater Park, only because of the really long, repetitive instrumental breaks. They are kinda cool but seem to drag on forever and by the time it's over you've forgotten how cool the first part of the song was.

I couldn't disagree more.

Hours of Wealth...

It's a great song, I like it... but then, i hate it, and lay blame to a girl that I was with for ages. She loved the song and used to song it constantly, couldn't sing for shit, and now the song reminds me of her and it pisses the fuck out of me.

Other than that, every Opeth song is genius :p

Status
Not open for further replies.