Opeth....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Greys said:
I don't hear deliverance in morbid angel enough where I would just not listen to it listening to morbid angel instead. You still can't get the best of each band with the other. Both bands are very very different regardless if mikael pointed out deliverance has morbid angel riffs and you can hear influence. Deliverance is still not a tribute to morbid angel. 'Deliverance' is very much opeth sounding in traits and characterics. I like morbid angel but a lot of times not really into listening to blast beats. I would not say Deliverance is a high point for opeth but I still very much enjoy it. I probably prefere deliverance over ghost reveries.

I didn't say the whole album sounded like Morbid Angel. It obviously doesn't. You said you liked it because it was so heavy and I am merely pointing out that most of the points on that record where it gets "heavy" are bits that sound a lot like Morbid Angel, which is true.

Deliverance is just clearly Opeth not firing on all cylinders. The "clean" parts aren't interesting enough and the heavy parts sound borrowed and forced, and the whole album sounds like riffs pro-tooled together (which some might argue is what every Opeth album sounds like but I disagree with that). And then there's some trademark Steven Wilson'isms thrown into the mix which mostly sound misplaced too (unlike on BWP where they actually fit much better).

fat bastard said:
very well put. my only qualm with the band is that they probably make the songs 1-2 min longer than they need to be.
I agree. The Grand Conjuration is an excellent example... is it really nessecary to repeat the same riff 4 times on guitar and 4 times on bass? NO. Gets on my fucking nerves. And extra riffs are really not nessecary. However, once you get past the bullshit, they're a very good band. Slightly overrated by the fanboys, including me, but very good.

Nectar of the Gods said:
i really enjoy aggaloch...

you guys are really lame, your acting as though these bands are your life...

if someone likes it, they like it, if you dont... SO WHAT! and if you out to change peoples opinions, just fuck yourself.

/thread
Do we have to hear this from every noob? This is a forum where we discuss metal. If all we did was say its fine that we all disagree, it would be very boring and stupid.

Despite some of these things being true, i still find Opeth to be a great band with great musicans. But yeah they do tend to repeat riffs over and over again too much in some tracks such as Masters Apprentices.

cookiecutter said:
Do we have to hear this from every noob? This is a forum where we discuss metal. If all we did was say its fine that we all disagree, it would be very boring and stupid.

yup

Last time i checked, this was called the General Metal Discussion forum

No, it would be a lot better and less fucking retarded. More intelligent discussion stems from mutual disagreement than from mutual (or one-way) slander.

cookiecutter said:

Noobs shall be noobs

They who are noobs shall stayeth noobs until they stop acting nobbith.

Indeed there is hope, but it is only a small sliver of light in a dungeon of vast darkness.

Necuratul said:
No, it would be a lot better and less fucking retarded. More intelligent discussion stems from mutual disagreement than from mutual (or one-way) slander.
What I am objecting to is not friendly discussion, but people always coming in the middle of said discussions and saying "Music is subjective and everyone has different tastes /thread." This discussion I feel has been for the most part quite civil, especially on such an inflammatory issure.

Opeth threads usually do go to shit pretty fast, usually because absolutely everyone has heard them and there are way more posts, hence more chances for arguments and flames. This one indeed hasn't been bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.