Opthe newbie advice

Orchid is definitely your next best bet, especially if you are nearing 40. I think that's the age group who Mike had in mind when he wrote it.

Defanatly either Deliverance or Damnation (just bso you get a sense or the real Opeth, the mellow and the heavy).

settlle down kids.

It is only a question of buying MAYH or Still Life because they are the most consistent. But obviously since they are all great you will eventually want to pick up the rest. Unless you want to go in Chronological order from here on which might be a good idea. And tis not necessary to buy them all because thats just overkill. Cheers.

nopethxz8.png

Nopeth.

The first Opeth album I heard was Damnation, and for some inexplicable reason, I didn't like it. The first album that really hit me and converted me to Opethism was Ghost Reveries. Then I think I went into BWP, which was extraordinary, then Deliverance/Damnation. Didn't like Deliverance at first, but I've been spinning it quite a bit lately and it's quickly becoming a fave.

Still Life took me a while to get into, and MAYH still eludes me. Don't know why, just can't get into it. Nor do Orchid/Morningrise do much for me.

I would say your best bet is to pick up Ghost Reveries. I still feel that it is the quintessential Opeth album, exhibiting everything that makes Opeth the best band in the world. Then go at Deliverance/Damnation. If the tune "Deliverance" doesn't kick your ass, you're not human.

BRI said:
Orchid is definitely your next best bet, especially if you are nearing 40. I think that's the age group who Mike had in mind when he wrote it.
lol

I agree with metal wrath when he says:

metal_wrath said:
It is only a question of buying MAYH or Still Life because they are the most consistent. But obviously since they are all great you will eventually want to pick up the rest. Unless you want to go in Chronological order from here on which might be a good idea. And tis not necessary to buy them all because thats just overkill. Cheers.

You'll end up getting them all anyway so why pick and choose? Just give in, it's a *lot* easier in the end! :)

Serenity Painted Death is a killer track, definitely one to look out for. ;-)