power metal?

I think that Power Metal (with the possible exception of Traditional Doom) is the genre that most obviously derived massive influence from one band.

I think he may have meant Judas Priest rather than Iron Maiden, tbh. THat's who I associate with PM anyway.

Bizarrely, I enjoy Primal Fear. Go figure.

Authentic Metalhead said:
I hate it when people say that. Just because one famous band used it doesn't mean that every band with remotely similar vocals completely ripped off Iron Maiden. That style of singing is actually a common male singing voice. If I wanted to, I could say every black metal band I listen to is a "Mayhem ripoff".

EXACTLY.

a friend of mine does that all the time.

I mean, if you REALLY want to get technical, then all music in general is a ripoff of classical composers. No matter who you are or what type of music you play (excepting noise and various other things like that), you are going to be influenced by classical music. Why? Because they fucking invented popular music. They set down the standards for creating cohesive music and every musician after them were influenced by them. So don't go spouting off nonsense like "power metal is all ripped off Iron Maiden" unless you also go around saying "Iron Maiden is such a fucking Beethoven rip-off" or something like that.

Authentic Metalhead said:
Well then, you're wrong. You think too narrow about power metal. There are quite a few PM bands that don't emulate Bruce Dickinson. And don't even get me started on death metal.

What one band is most like all Death Metal or Black Metal bands? I think Power Metal can generally be derived from Iron Maiden and Traditional Doom is generally derived from Black Sabbath, but Death and Black Metal are more diverse. This isn't a knock on either genre, just an observation.

I didn't like Black Sabbath but I loved doom metal (sorry Black Sabbath sounds too much of an old rockish style for me). I heard some doom metal bands were influenced by a band called The Cure?? Never heard of them.

Necuratul said:
What one band is most like all Death Metal or Black Metal bands? I think Power Metal can generally be derived from Iron Maiden and Traditional Doom is generally derived from Black Sabbath, but Death and Black Metal are more diverse. This isn't a knock on either genre, just an observation.

Once again, you say this most likely as a devoted death metalhead and have not heard as wide a variety of power metal, as is the case with me. We're both at fault here, really, so we shouldn't bash each other's tastes. All music is derived from something.

Actually, I am pretty well-versed in Power Metal, it's just that a lot of Euro Power Metal is weak and boring. Stratovarius, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Freedom Call, and bands of that ilk are very boring. I'm sure you know more about Power Metal than I do (at least Flower Metal), but I have a strong working knowledge of the genre, and I think that, more than Black and Death Metal, it can be traced back to a single band for a large part. I'm not saying that every Power Metal band that sounds like Iron Maiden, but that a lot of them have their roots firmly planted in Iron Maiden's pot.

Finally, someone who actually knows jack shit about power metal! *shakes your hand* Too many people bash power metal without knowing anything about it. And while I do agree with you to an extent, I would also say that many death/black metal bands are influenced by bands like Celtic Frost and the like. Even tech death bands are as well, because they are influenced by the original DM bands that were influenced by Celtic Frost/etc.

it doesnt matter what they sound like. i completely agree with A.M. on this topic. "oh, durrrrr, Power Metal is, durrrr, a ripof of maiden, durrrr". this is an extremely stupid thing, and could be said about any band that is one of the first of its genre. you could go back very far.

"durrr, singing is a ripoff of talking, durrr......"

hammerfall.jpg

275px-Stephswift_overview_01.jpg

Necuratul said:
Actually, I am pretty well-versed in Power Metal, it's just that a lot of Euro Power Metal is weak and boring. Stratovarius, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Freedom Call, and bands of that ilk are very boring. I'm sure you know more about Power Metal than I do (at least Flower Metal), but I have a strong working knowledge of the genre, and I think that, more than Black and Death Metal, it can be traced back to a single band for a large part. I'm not saying that every Power Metal band that sounds like Iron Maiden, but that a lot of them have their roots firmly planted in Iron Maiden's pot.

Mmmmm, I must disagree, Euro power metal maybe happy, but being it's more technical than the American stuff, which can often be a silly flurry of power chords, I find it much less boring. And all of these bands pretty well go back to Priest, or for power metal, more correctly to classical. As early death metal will have jazz in it.

The bands that I mentioned are more "technical" than some US Powre Metal bands, of course, that's a given. But they're boring as hell.