power metal?

Authentic Metalhead said:
I agree. But I have heard a worse idea of what death metal is: one of my friends thought Project 86 was a heavy death metal band. I wanted to punch him in the nuts when I heard him say that.

I would rather see someone think a band is death metal that's not than think Six Feet Under actually make good death metal. I doubt any of their fans look into the genre. This is one of the main problems with music. People into heavy music are not different than people into pop/rap music that only hear what the TV or radio tells them. I also find it unbeivable when I talk to people who don't spend time researching much but listening to things already out in the open. I guess these people like music but it's not exactly a priority. I think it reflects these peoples tastes. Music to them is background at a given moment.

I visited one of my aunts/uncles awhile ago and they don't listen to music unless in a car or whatever. very strange to me

The Greys said:
I would rather see someone think a band is death metal that's not than think Six Feet Under actually make good death metal. I doubt any of their fans look into the genre. This is one of the main problems with music. People into heavy music are not different than people into pop/rap music that only hear what the TV or radio tells them. I also find it unbeivable when I talk to people who don't spend time researching much but listening to things already out in the open. I guess these people like music but it's not exactly a priority. I think it reflects these peoples tastes. Music to them is background at a given moment.

True. But what I hate is people who BRAG about the music they listen to, especially when they attempt to come off like they know what they're talking about but, in reality, have no clue.

:yow:

I didn't know if I wanted to respond to this thread but I did read through it.Since most metal is taken from nearly every Sabbath riff ever written I don't understand this problem.Just wanted to say I love ALL Metal from:
DIMMU,IMMORTAL,HYPOCRISY,BOLT THROWER,DISBELIEF,KATAKLYSM,NAPALM DEATH,DARK TRANQUILITY,GRAVEWORM,ANTHRAX,IRON MAIDEN,JUDAS PRIEST
TO
ORPHANAGE,ANVIL,EXCITER,RAVEN,MNEMIC,DEATH ANGEL,MAYHEM,ARCH ENEMY,RAGE,CRMATORY,BODOM,NEVERMORE,DESTRUCTION

To Power Metal like
HAMMERFALL,RHAPSODY,ACCEPT,EDGUY,ICED EARTH D&W,KAMELOT,THUNDERSTONE,BLIND GUARDIAN,HELLOWEEN,NIGHTWISH...ect.ect.ect.

I also have 2,000 CD's and climbing. With that many titles I need not explain that there are 100's more titles and artists that I have! I could not see how someone could stand to listen to 50 bands that all GROWL all the time. That would drive me nuts!

(But I do like it)

People that make fun of metal fans do so because of this crap! We sound like whiny infants. We should be happy that we are all smart enough and proud enough to like what we wanna like without concern of what someone else thinks.Now I know there are sites with particular genre's like say a "Death Metal" forum. The only trouble with that is you would still have folks bicker and say things like BORGIR sucks and IMMORTAL rocks!

One person liking a certain style does not make one stupid or un-educated either.

In the words of LEMMY who said something like..What is selling out? Selling more records? :lol:

It's true! There are some so called "die hard" fans who only like stuff that is less popular. There is NO denying this. Once the band gets big..then you suck if you listen to them.I do not look at it that way. I like when a band does well. Why? It reaches more people! It's reaching the masses! It makes me proud as a fan,for a kind of music I love.

So I hope I don't get slammed too hard for this input, cause I think you all ROCK and have your shit together. Well most of us do anyway. It's a cool place to check in on now and then too to see what's happening.

Well unlike a "board of intrest" I would like to say in closing that...

Last time I checked..this was a METAL forum. Have a good one all!

:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :devil:

i agree with a lot of what you except for the sabbath riff thing. everybody knows that judas and iron have been ripped just as much but i totally understand. everything out there is just a variation on whats been done before. i love hearing new stuff but its hard to suprise me anymore.

METALDUDE said:
It's true! There are some so called "die hard" fans who only like stuff that is less popular. There is NO denying this. Once the band gets big..then you suck if you listen to them.I do not look at it that way. I like when a band does well. Why? It reaches more people! It's reaching the masses! It makes me proud as a fan,for a kind of music I love.

That's not the problem. Many bands produce their best output in their early years because they are trying to gain recognition, once a band has an established fanbase or becomes popular, they don't need to try so hard, in fact they can just stick to a formula and they know it will sell. "die hard" fans can see this happening so they are bound to prefer the work of a band when it was unpopular because that gets the most effort put into it.

Killbot said:
That's not the problem. Many bands produce their best output in their early years because they are trying to gain recognition, once a band has an established fanbase or becomes popular, they don't need to try so hard, in fact they can just stick to a formula and they know it will sell. "die hard" fans can see this happening so they are bound to prefer the work of a band when it was unpopular because that gets the most effort put into it.

There is also the loss of enthusiasm type stuff.

its funny how everyone around here thinks they know why bands do what they do like they re in the band themselves but hey, i do it too. maybe rather than speculate so much and call every popular band a bunch of money hungry sell outs or whatever we should just shut up until we have those magical things that no one around here can actually provide called "FACTS". its not like mass opinion has never been proven wrong before.

fat bastard said:
its funny how everyone around here thinks they know why bands do what they do like they re in the band themselves but hey, i do it too. maybe rather than speculate so much and call every popular band a bunch of money hungry sell outs or whatever we should just shut up until we have those magical things that no one around here can actually provide called "FACTS". its not like mass opinion has never been proven wrong before.

Why should people not voice their opinions just because they don't have facts on the subject? I struggle to think of any facts that would strengthen an argument about selling out anyway. Personally I enjoy seeing others points of view, whether they back it up with facts or not.

Killbot said:
Why should people not voice their opinions just because they don't have facts on the subject? I struggle to think of any facts that would strengthen an argument about selling out anyway. Personally I enjoy seeing others points of view, whether they back it up with facts or not.

i do agree with you but sometimes all this speculation begins to be treated like truth on this part of UM. i bet theres more than a few people on here who base their opinions around what some of the more frequent posters on here think rather than form there own opinions( not that those historians around here dont know there shit.) take the most popular band around here, start flaming them and all that shit and i bet that others would buy into it. seriously. i bet we could get some people who are just getting into all this metal and brainwash them into believing anything.

If anyone could be brainwashed into thinking a particular thing rocks or sucks they do not belong here. Strength of opinion is gold around here, a place where EVERY opinion gets challenged up and down. If a person can be bullied into believing what the masses like is good than metal in general is not for them, because metal is for those who have strong opinions and will defend and fight for those opinions. This is what sets us apart from the people who listen to rap, or pop, or emo, or whatever else is popular in the social circles they exist in. Metal is a unique musical genre, in that the fans are united by the music first and foremost, whereas in other social groups the people are united by relationships between them or the activities or way of life the group follows, and the taste in music spawns from that. In metal, the way of life spawns from the music, but in other genres, the way of life spawns the music of choice.

ender7227 said:
If anyone could be brainwashed into thinking a particular thing rocks or sucks they do not belong here. Strength of opinion is gold around here, a place where EVERY opinion gets challenged up and down. If a person can be bullied into believing what the masses like is good than metal in general is not for them, because metal is for those who have strong opinions and will defend and fight for those opinions. This is what sets us apart from the people who listen to rap, or pop, or emo, or whatever else is popular in the social circles they exist in. Metal is a unique musical genre, in that the fans are united by the music first and foremost, whereas in other social groups the people are united by relationships between them or the activities or way of life the group follows, and the taste in music spawns from that. In metal, the way of life spawns from the music, but in other genres, the way of life spawns the music of choice.

Congratulations, you've just made my list of people who aren't idiots. And trust me, that's an honor. :kickass:

ender7227 said:
:lol: You don't know me very well.
In musical knowledge, I am a complete idiot, but in taste and opinions about the general metal and music comunity, I am rather proud of my knowledge.

That's why you made my list. The amount you know is not what strikes me, it's the general forming of opinions. You seem to have your opinions straight.