Steve Wilson and Opeth

He never said he didn't enjoy unsophisticated music..... I like 1349, and they're very unsophisticated...... they just have generally fun songs....... but why anyone would like The Dillenger Escape Plan is beyond me..... scales and screams.....

IAmEternal said:
I bet any genre of music, including prog/psychadelic, is full of throwaway bands, with a minority rising to the top to stand out above the rest. Or am I wrong?

that depends....certain genres more than others.

classic jazz for instance, often was good most the time...but thats probably because there was about 100 musicians total, all of which played together constantly and didnt travel far outside that spectrum.

60s/70s prog and psych could be argued...theres tons of bands which are great...and many which arent so great.

but metal and punk especially are 2 genres often fueled by teenage angst/aggression and rebellion, and so often times are created by young people who want to play loud/aggressive and angry music in that vein, and so sophistication is often not present. But thats fine, not all music needs to be sophisticated anyway, otherwise most the world wouldnt listen to anything. But i guess steven wilson needs sophistication in a lot of his music...or was simply trying to promote Opeth as a thinking man's metal band...rather than shooting down metal as a whole. Much like how Rush is the thinking mans rock band...vs a band like The Who. Both are good bands, but one obviously has more sophistication while the other is more straightforward and down to business. does this make sense?

Moonlapse said:
It's quite evident during the recording footage of 'In My Time of Need' that SW is controlling some creative aspect, whether willfully or not. See this is where that facet I mentioned earlier comes in - Opeth are coming to rely on SW. Peter is asking his producer how he should play a solo part in one of his own band's songs... that is quite unnatural to me. Excuse me if I'm wrong but the producer normally gets involved in the 'production' aspects of the band, and in SW's case, it seems as if that production work has poured very much all over the music itself (whether he intended it or not).
I wouldn't say that that's what's happening. It just seemed to me that Peter wasn't very sure about that solo, and just wanted a simple second opinion.

I want to hear Opeth again, and just Opeth, with no semi-transparent '6th member'. I'd like to hear the producer do his job, and Opeth do theirs.
I DO agree with that a little bit. Steve should back off a LITTLE bit.

I guess a lot of Wilson's influence was based on the fact that the whole recording process was quite a mess-up and the albums were not as though-through as they should have been when Opeth went into the studio. When Mikael approaches him next time, with a concept and precise ideas (soundwise), i bet it'll end up differently.

ethereallights said:
I do not believe that Steve Wilson is responsible for the "crisper" or "cleaner" sound Opeth acheives today, I believe they achieve this sound by a larger budget, better equipment, and nice studios.

Steve Wilson said that he loves metal in an interview once, and that it's a big influence on him.

As far sophistication goes, I believe Opeth is very much more sophisticated than a lot of the metal bands of the past and present.... and I didn't get the whole, Wilson hates metal out of the DVD. I must have missed something.

This is the first reply that made any sense to me. I happened to agree with you here. I heard that interview and he said he was in fluenced by a lot of underground metal stuff, if I remember correctly. I can go back and double check that...

I enjoy Steven's contribution to the band. I believe he offers some very interesting ideas to Opeth. Watching that DVD made me respect Opeth and Wilson a lot more. Mikeal and Wilson enjoy working with one another. Let them be...

It seems like I am the only one who subscribes to the thought that Blackwater Park is their best effort.

Moonlapse said:
And I guess it doesn't help that Mike hates the production of Crimson II :(

So does Swano. He said he had to use the EQ a lot because some guitar parts weren't right, or something along those lines. I think it's in that huge ass interview that Jim posted...

I think the real problem is this:

"..With Opeth it´s different there´s a degree of sophistication that you normally would not find in metal at all. The Music Opeth makes and the kind of music I make has a lot more in common, i think". SW

Not sure this is a 100% correct quoted but close to.

Well do we really want Opeth and Porcupine tree to merge??? I know I don´t, but listen to "In absenthia", the opening track´s intro sounds like something Opeth could´ve done, now Mikael participates on the forthcoming PT record go figure.

Korlich said:
I think the real problem is this:

"..With Opeth it´s different there´s a degree of sophistication that you normally would not find in metal at all. The Music Opeth makes and the kind of music I make has a lot more in common, i think". SW

Not sure this is a 100% correct quoted but close to.

Well do we really want Opeth and Porcupine tree to merge??? I know I don´t, but listen to "In absenthia", the opening track´s intro sounds like something Opeth could´ve done, now Mikael participates on the forthcoming PT record go figure.

It's not like Wislon and Åkerfeldt are writing songs for each others band....it's that they've made friends and are helping each other make music....

In that case why don't Mikael and SW start their own band and leave Opeth (and PT) out of it? I would much more prefer that than SW continuing to "contribute" to Opeth...

Mikael seems to be under his influence to the point where any artistic direction has to have approval of SW...and that's no good...

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
what the hell are you talking about? idiot.

is there a "talking out of ass" smiley?

You are such a dick....

Anyway...like I said...it SEEMS that he's under his influence...from interviews I've read of Mikael's, he's pretty head over heels with SW...and it SEEMS it's to the point where he can't work on his own anymore without getting SW's input...

and since I have to spell it out for you, dumb fuck: THIS IS MY OPINION...

Triste said:

You are such a dick....

I'm a dick!? Youre the one assuming Mikael cant write music without someone elses approval. And for the record, your "opinion" is presumptuous, assuming and lacking of any real fact.

Hows that spelled out for you now jackass?

I think it would be cool if Mikael Åkerfeldt and Steve Wilson sat down and wrote music with each other that had nothing to do with Opeth or Porcupine Tree. I ultimately would not mind if Steve Wilson was on the next album or not, because there is nothing I can do about it. I think he did great on the last 3 albums, and if he's on-board for the next one, I think that has more plusses then minuses, but if he's not: oh well.

Concerning Land Of Grey and Pink.....you're a fat ugly poo face....

ethereallights said:
I think it would be cool if Mikael Åkerfeldt and Steve Wilson sat down and wrote music with each other that had nothing to do with Opeth or Porcupine Tree. I ultimately would not mind if Steve Wilson was on the next album or not, because there is nothing I can do about it. I think he did great on the last 3 albums, and if he's on-board for the next one, I think that has more plusses then minuses, but if he's not: oh well.

Right on man! I totally agree with you here.

Triste said:
and since I have to spell it out for you, dumb fuck: THIS IS MY OPINION...

This whole opinion bullshit doesn't really work for me... LoGAP could just as easily say that it's his opinion is that you're a complete fuckwit. I still agree with you to an extent, Triste: Grey and Pink is a pigheaded fool with his head rather far up his ass. And you know what? Telling him this isn't gonna change him, but it's still fun from time to time :)

This post was pretty much pointless. I like it.