Tell Me Everything You Know About Hair Straighteners

I've never had split ends, but I don't straighten my hair very often and I always use a low setting. I think I just have very healthy hair though, because the women who play with my hair always ask what products I use to keep my hair in such great condition and they act surprised that I don't do anything other than wash it wish shampoo. I don't even use conditioner, which some people have trouble believing.

As far as trimming it, a few people have told me that it's a good idea to do so every few months to avoid split ends, but since I've never had split ends anyway, I don't bother and my hair doesn't seem to suffer any as a result. With regard to hair growing from the root, I bring this up whenever they imply that clipping it will help it grow faster and then they respond with something like "um..." and that's about as far as the conversation goes. I suspect that this is probably just a myth invented by some parental figure to try to convince their children to practice better hygiene.

My stylist said my hair did not appear damaged (so the straightener had a marginal effect at worse), but she advised me hair genes are passed from the mother's father, and since my maternal grandfather (according to my mother) balded at an early age, she said given my age (21), my hair is just thinning. That could well be it...:cry:

My stylist said my hair did not appear damaged (so the straightener had a marginal effect at worse), but she advised me hair genes are passed from the mother's father, and since my maternal grandfather (according to my mother) balded at an early age, she said given my age (21), my hair is just thinning. That could well be it...:cry:
Oh, that sucks. All of my grandparents died when I was young, so I don't remember much about them and I rarely see my uncle on my mom's side, but last I remember he still had his hair (although grey) and he's almost 60. My dad's almost 50 and still has all of his hair too, but it's thinning and starting to go grey. I'm only turning 24 in a couple weeks though, so I hopefully won't have to start worrying about any of this for a while.

well, when my hair is long enough ill either straighten it or get dreadlocks.

as far as your birthday gift and stuff, get the pedal.

I don't know much about straighteners, but I've gotten my hair straightened twice in my life. Took 2 hours if not more to do it, so it's pretty much something you have someone else do if you are both bored.

Anyway, it turned this (a year ago)

DSCN2633_resize.jpg

backofcurlyhair.jpg

into this (two years ago)

DSCN0747_resize.jpg

DSCN0732_resize.jpg

first pic of your straightend hair is how id want mine to look.
how long did it take you to grow your hair that long?

first pic of your straightend hair is how id want mine to look.
how long did it take you to grow your hair that long?

Well, that picture is from the summer of '06. And the last time I cut my hair (short) before then was summer of '01. So I had short hair in '01, and have been letting it grow since. I've only trimmed it once or twice, I believe.

I only had short hair for about 2 years of my life

Dreads are fucking gross. Anyone who's been to a gig and had someone's dreadlock headbangage hitting you in the face will know what I mean. GROSS, YUCK.

Brian Fair (Shadows Fall) has dreads that are about 5 feet, and it's hilarious live because he circle-headbangs and the rest of the band is forced off to the side.

Hey ozzman, I looked at your Last.FM and our musical compatibility rating is super! Here's mine http://last.fm/user/ladyvalerie :)