The Best Progressive Metal Bands

Yeah, hardly any modern Prog band considers itself influenced by Fates Warning - which kinda makes the original all the more unique and indispensable. Sieges Even is the only band that comes to my mind, they've sometimes sounded HUGELY FW-ish in the guitar department.

As far as I can recall in those days, Fates Warning was the real first prog metal band, along with Queensryche a year or two later. Of course the term Prog wasn't used to describe it and we had Iron Maiden playing various rythm changes on their songs already, but Fates Warning kinda took the legacy from Rush's discography and adapted it to Metal, using some arabic or oriental influences on their first 3 or 4 albums. Things just started changing with the fourth album, "No Exit", and they "cleaned up" their sound, maybe a little too much for their sake, and then bands like Queensryche and Crimson Glory became huge and FW just stood in the shadow. But of course, that's the view from this side of the planet. Nevertheless, they are pioneers and worth listening to.

do you like BTBAM? I tried to like them but something about them just really turned me off. People regard them as genre-less.

I'm usually not really too into the extreme shades of prog metal, not because I dislike the heaviness or rough vocals, but because the arrangements tend to become very busy, which is a pet peeve of mine. BTBAM definitely falls into that trap for me - too much concern with how many elements can be running at once and not enough with how those elements interact. Might change my mind if I listen more, but I dunno.

HAKEN's album AQUARIUS [Sensory Records] is well worth a listen. Catch them live with Dream Theater, IQ and Anathema at Night Of The Prog VI in Germany this July and on their US debut at Progpower USA XII in Atlanta this September.

Haken rules, fuck the nay-sayers! :Smokedev:

I look forward to working with them, as well as hearing them at Prog Power USA... Comparing them to DT is like comparing apples to enema bags....

I don't get the Haken comments, really. I love them, while I dislike pretty much everything DT has made since 1994. Like J-Dub said, the only connection I can make to DT is that it's tagged as progressive.

I don't get the Haken comments, really. I love them, while I dislike pretty much everything DT has made since 1994. Like J-Dub said, the only connection I can make to DT is that it's tagged as progressive.

I dunno, you'd have to be half asleep not to hear the DT rip-offs on the album. Definitely the dominant influence, to the point of annoyance. Of course, they rip off a little of everything. It's not bad, just unoriginal and boring.

That's my opinion, deal w/it :cool:

I think the key problem in "prog" is that there are musicians out there - GOOD, TALENTED musicians - who will create rhythms and melodies and complexities without giving a mind to how those things are meant to fit together and complement each other. This then gets passed off as some kind of progness or billed as a series of separate movements. These musicians were perhaps attempting the Jackson Pollock complexity + randomness = beauty. But unlike Pollock, their creations are not homogenous. They're neither able to emulate old master composers who so often are found listed as influences to prog bands like Bach and Beethoven. The absolute key is that even disparate elements of a song, even fractured movements and drastically different sections have a common thread that pulls together and drives forward the music. In prog more than any other genre, that tends to get forgotten. An excellent prog song will take one theme and twist it slowly into another. Or create sections which tell different parts of a story, but each recognizably on its own as part of the same story. If I'm reading The 1001 Nights, yes each story is explicitly different. But each tale unmistakably belongs to the Arabian Nights theme. I feel that the typical prog band will have someone writing "cool riffs" and having compiled a library of such, just paste them together in a certain order in maybe the same key and call it a "song". The verse riff has nothing to do with the chorus riff, not a common rhythmic or harmonic unit.

IMHO probably one of the most , if not the most underrated prog band ....Andy Winter is one of my all-time favorite songwriters and lyricists .

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the key problem in "prog" is that there are musicians out there - GOOD, TALENTED musicians - who will create rhythms and melodies and complexities without giving a mind to how those things are meant to fit together and complement each other. This then gets passed off as some kind of progness or billed as a series of separate movements. These musicians were perhaps attempting the Jackson Pollock complexity + randomness = beauty. But unlike Pollock, their creations are not homogenous. They're neither able to emulate old master composers who so often are found listed as influences to prog bands like Bach and Beethoven. The absolute key is that even disparate elements of a song, even fractured movements and drastically different sections have a common thread that pulls together and drives forward the music. In prog more than any other genre, that tends to get forgotten. An excellent prog song will take one theme and twist it slowly into another. Or create sections which tell different parts of a story, but each recognizably on its own as part of the same story. If I'm reading The 1001 Nights, yes each story is explicitly different. But each tale unmistakably belongs to the Arabian Nights theme. I feel that the typical prog band will have someone writing "cool riffs" and having compiled a library of such, just paste them together in a certain order in maybe the same key and call it a "song". The verse riff has nothing to do with the chorus riff, not a common rhythmic or harmonic unit.

Hmmm... brilliantly said.

I tried writing a prog song today and it sucked :( . Maybe I should just copy Circus Maximus like the rest of them! I mean think about it, Dreamscape, Cloudscape, Andromeda, The Mind's Eye, Pagan's Mind, Seventh Wonder, Suspyre, Kamelot...they all sound more or less the same.

Dreamscape, Cloudscape, Andromeda, The Mind's Eye, Pagan's Mind, Seventh Wonder, Suspyre, Kamelot...they all sound more or less the same.

Are you being sarcastic? Pagan's Mind, SW, and Kamelot in particular sound extremely different to me!

I thought this was the progressive band thread? Pagan's Mind are as powermetal and generic as they come. Like wise with Kamelot (though I love Kamelot, don't care for Pagan's Mind. Suspyre is Power Metal with a wankery twist. Seventh Wonder, have their own unique sound entirely. Though they sound samey through-out their own albums. Also the majority of these bands, have been releasing music since before Circus Maximus even released their first album. Cloudscape, and Dreamscape I don't know to well. I have heard there stuff. Have some of their stuff. But I can't form a fair opinion.

Other than some of these bands being terribly generic, they have nothing in common. The two most generic and power-metal bands in there are Kamleot, and Pagan's Mind. Kamelot knows how to write songs with far better hooks, and more atmosphere and life than Pagan's Mind. And even they sound nothing a like. You would never mistake a Pagan's Mind song for Kamelot. Or to more larger extremes, Seventh Wonder, or even Circus Maximus.

IMHO probably one of the most , if not the most underrated prog band ....Andy Winter is one of my all-time favorite songwriters and lyricists .

Andy Winter is great! I have a big gripe with Winds, though, and that's because of the drummer - Hellhammer is great, but he does not fit that band.

I tried writing a prog song today and it sucked . Maybe I should just copy Circus Maximus like the rest of them! I mean think about it, Dreamscape, Cloudscape, Andromeda, The Mind's Eye, Pagan's Mind, Seventh Wonder, Suspyre, Kamelot...they all sound more or less the same.

Sort of agreed. Mind's Eye and Suspyre are pretty much prototypical heavy prog/prog metal and power-prog metal bands, respectively. Seventh Wonder is also generic but like I've said I actually can enjoy them from time to time.