The Coffee and Tea thread

I don't normally buy gourmet coffee for home use, because I can't afford it. Maybe if we only drank a few cups a week, but easily 2, 3, maybe even 4 pots get drank in my house on a daily basis. This summer I've been hooked on caramel iced coffee from wherever I can get it. McDonalds and Starbucks have the same quality drink, even though Starbucks is double the price. Snobbish as it sounds, only local coffee shops have a product that stands out. 13th Street coffee here in Omaha is delicious, as well is Crane's Coffee.

the mocha iced coffee from Mcdonalds is amazing. But horrible for you, so I havent had one in well over a year.
Now I just drink black coffee.
was doing the folgers stuff, but got bored with it.
Now im on Camerons Highlander Grog

Stewart's is an above average canned coffee brand at a pretty fair price, but I'm not sure how available it is outside Chicago.

Gloria Jean's is probably my favorite brand overall. Purists frown upon their flavored blends, but I enjoy them, as well as the varietals.

As far as more available stuff, I find a lot of what Caribou offers is more to my liking than Starbucks at about the same price. Name brands are going to seem expensive, but it's like the difference between drinking a beer and the bar and drinking it at home. If make all your coffee at home, you'll make up your money in a hurry.

Can't underrate a good coffeemaker too. You don't need a $100+ model, but don't settle for the Mr. Coffee diarrhea machine.

276hLFhRtkDKXpWoQsM7meejHWB0Savdco-f_DHJbDr6_5Cc9FbPzIjCNagMAdECeycOs7AwvXHMVAraC7uI4GpuI2lWBe3s6UsDc1Vu8NCKDfH8ow

bigelow%20earl%20grey.jpg

I like loose tea that you put through a strainer. Dunno if you live near any Asian markets but you can get little personal sized teapots with built in strainers that are nice:

teapot-7.jpg

As for coffee I like all those silly flavors like macadamia nut, coconut, caramel etc. If you can get your hands on Hawaiian brands they'll be expensive but so worth it. I always drank Lion and Royal Kona before but I haven't seen it at my local supermarkets/Target.

chocolate%20macadamia%20bag.JPG

For easily accessible and great flavored coffees you can make at home you can't go wrong with Starbucks. I refuse to buy a cup of coffee from their stores because it usually tastes burnt, but as far as buying whole bean from the store, it's some of the best coffee out there.

The best thing about Starbucks is it's not too expensive and they have a very extensive range of different beans from across the world, so you get a chance to taste many different types of coffee.

My personal favorite is in line with Laura, but what she posted a picture of is only a Kona blend, not 100% Kona coffee. Kona coffee is world renowned as being one of the best coffee beans out there. The hardest part is getting ahold of a bag of pure Kona from one of the Kona plantations on the Big Island of Hawaii. Recently there have been many new companies who sell 100% Kona so it's really hard to tell the difference between the good and the bad ones, and honestly, I'm still trying to work that out.

My best advice for anyone who wants to enjoy good coffee not named Folders or Maxwell House is not to cheap out. Buy a nice coffee maker, a sturdy grinder (not the grinder/brewer all in one, they suck), keep a stash of filtered bottled water, and go buy some good coffee. Sure it's a little more expensive than buying a shit coffee maker from Wal-Mart and drinking Folders every day, but it's totally worth it imo. I love coffee too much to cheap out.

edit: Also, I'm glad you only drink your coffee black because that's the only way it SHOULD be drank. Anyone who puts cream and sugar or anything other than coffee in their coffee is an asshole. Fact.

yes!
I was afraid this thread wouldnt go anywhere.
I'll do more research when I get home from work.
Guess I need to check out some Starbucks flavors.
I should probably head over to Meijers too. They usually have a good selection of grocerie shit.
I saw on the Camerons website that they have a Pecan flavored coffee. I almost jizzed in my pants. Must find a store that sells it around here.

I've actually been thinking about getting a grinder because I've noticed that a pound of good beans is similar in price to a can of Folgers. Also, those combo grinder/brewer units are quite affordable, which leads me to ask: what exactly is it about the combo units you don't like, King Richard?

Depending on how the machine was engineered and constructed, a lot of them have a problem with steam rising up through the machine into the grinder section, which is generally on top, causing it to clog up whilst brewing. Honestly, it's just easier and cheaper to grind the beans right before you brew. I got my [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-2600-Central-Programmable-Coffeemaker/dp/B001NGO27W/ref=sr_1_12?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1314115180&sr=1-12"]CuisinArt brewer off of Amazon[/ame], and it works perfectly. It has a self-cleaning function and a charcoal water filter. It's worth every penny. You can also get a decent grinder for Wal-Mart for like $10-$15. Although, you said you make a shit load of coffee so yours might be a bit more expensive since you'd have to get a bigger grinder.

A good, afforable brand of coffee is Peets. Its a company from Oakland/Berkeley California, which has begun to expand across the country. You can find it in a lot of grocery stores or order it on their website.

Their coffee is very strong and rich in flavor and scent. It also has an amazing caffeine kick, so you'll need about half the coffee you drink with crap like Folgers.

I recommend the Aged Sumatra, Major Dickasons Blend or Arabian Mocha Java. However, even their House Blend kicks ass.

peet%27snormaal.jpg

I'm not particular about brands, but my favorite flavor is hazelnut. Sometimes I drink it black but most of the time I put lots of sugar and a bit of milk in it. If I have some lying around I'll put some of that Nestle chocolate syrup in for a cheap mocha.

Not much of a tea drinker, but I love Arizona raspberry-flavored iced tea.

I've tried this and that and really I either gotta go to one extreme or the other- straight black coffee or hyperflavored whipcream topped cappucino. Anything in between just fails.

I'm not a coffee drinker. I love the smell of coffee, but I have never been able to acquire the taste. People always tell me, "Oh just put a ton of creamer and sugar in there, and it'll be fine!" But at that point it's no longer coffee...it's fucking creamer and sugar with a drop of coffee

Tea I do drink. Decaf green tea. I try and have a cup every morning with breakfast

I'm sorta from the south, so sweet tea is king here.

I will occasionally drink coffee... the blackest ov the black, from which no light will ever penetrate, with a healthy dose of sugar. Dislike creamer in coffee. (save that for coffee flavored alcohol shots)