The "Deliverance" Thread

Deliverance is great, it just needs to have a certain mood to get the most out of it. I personally love listening to it when being in a kind of "stfu" mood... then this dark and brutal atmosphere works great. I recommend everybody to listen to Damnation right after that :)

- the unpredictability of the songs and sudden brutal parts, which also contributes to the evil feel the album has, it is like watching a chilling horror movie! (for which Damnation is a very good counterpart actually, also a soundtrack to a horror movie imo)
Perfect example being at about 7:46 of Master's Apprentices. Love how it flows from serene to brutal completely without warning! :kickass:

I listened this record today, it slays. Wreath is a great opener (may be my favourite track of the record), it's so bleak, cold, droney. Great drumming and basslines, and of course two truly awesome solos. The rest of the album consists of solid songs I think, it's only on BTPISO that the quality drops somewhat. On the other hand, the song is very experimental, with the 'underwater' death vocals over clean guitar parts and some other crazy riffs which make the song pretty interesting nonetheless. The guitar break at 8:08 is phenomenal, and the part after that ("Silently, whispering...") is awesome.

I listened this record today, it slays. Wreath is a great opener (may be my favourite track of the record), it's so bleak, cold, droney. Great drumming and basslines, and of course two truly awesome solos. The rest of the album consists of solid songs I think, it's only on BTPISO that the quality drops somewhat. On the other hand, the song is very experimental, with the 'underwater' death vocals over clean guitar parts and some other crazy riffs which make the song pretty interesting nonetheless. The guitar break at 8:08 is phenomenal, and the part after that ("Silently, whispering...") is awesome.

nicely put. although deliverance is my favorite off of deliverance.

i love deliverance. it could be the most cohesive(doesn't make it the best) album by opeth. Each song works together and the sound fits the songs.

it also has some of opeth's best songs: Wreath, deliverance, Master's apprentices, and a fair judgement. The only weak point is BTPISIO, and that's a pretty good song.

I'm just going to be brief here. I think Deliverance was an awesome record, but By the Pain I See in Others is by far the worst Opeth song, sounds like carnival music halfway through. Only Opeth song I dislike...although the drums are fucking awesome on that track.

Idgi, I remember almost everyone saying Deliverance is below par, now tons of people are saying it's an amazing record. Make up your minds...

Every Opeth album is good, it's just that some people think some are better than others. "Below par" when it comes to Opeth is still above the mainstream.