The depression thread

The ability to turn a positive into a negative can also be a problem.
Oddly, just this month I gained the ability to spin any negative into a positive. It's kinda the product of the universe playing one more joke on me and/or getting to know a friend who's on a similar wavelength. It helps that we're both intrigued and entertained by what goes on inside our minds. I realised I was suppressing a lot of (potential) thoughts due to being shy or not wanting to make the wrong impression or some shit. Now that I'm aware of where that goes on I can select what sort of thoughts to dwell on and manipulate how I feel about something. Eg. summon up inappropriate thoughts or cynical humour on any topic and laugh it off. It's difficult to imagine I could be even slightly traumatised again anything like my page 1 post.

All the fucking time. Precisely why I try to live out in the sticks as much as is possible. Sounds like you need to get out and go on a holiday trip somewhere, even if it's just a weekend camping or something. Completely disassociating every now and then is as important as anything else IMO.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
For sure. I used to up and fuck off regularly before I was married. I'd just get in the car and head up the coast to a camping area very few knew about and I'd camp there for as long as it took. No phone reception, no people, just the trees and silence.

do you guys ever get the feeling of just wanting to cut everything/everyone off and get as far away from society as possible? I swear i'm just a few steps away from buying an RV and disappearing off the grid.

This is my main goal/motivation in life. Maybe not in an RV and totally off the grid, but definitely somewhere remote, with a private water supply, septic tank system, and satellite internet.

All the fucking time. Precisely why I try to live out in the sticks as much as is possible. Sounds like you need to get out and go on a holiday trip somewhere, even if it's just a weekend camping or something. Completely disassociating every now and then is as important as anything else IMO.
yea getting away form people is very important for an introvert like myself. I usually leave and go to the desert or mountains for a few days. But the last few years have really done a number on me and im talking about literally just cutting everyone off and moving or something. I've been thinking about it for a good while now.

Oh okay that's definitely a lot heavier. The problem with seeking that kind of isolation is that you don't really know how much it will help or harm your mental state until you try it and who has the kind of money to just move houses like that? I feel for you man it's a tough one.

I usually bring a boombox. :cool:

I've nearly always had a second battery system and inverters in my vehicles so fridges, music and even a small monitor and a VHS player were possible back in those days. Before the days of affordable solar panels I could be off the grid for about 6 days before considering the need for refueling or repowering.

yea getting away form people is very important for an introvert like myself. I usually leave and go to the desert or mountains for a few days. But the last few years have really done a number on me and im talking about literally just cutting everyone off and moving or something. I've been thinking about it for a good while now.

The biggest problem with getting away from everyone is remembering to come back. Whether that is back to those currently in your life or actually moving away and finding a new life, one of the worst things you can do is get away but forget to return. Sometimes it becomes too easy to stay in that place you find.

That's epic. :lol:

The 80's and 90's version of Glamping :p

Beer, fire, food, music and a fishing rod...and the hope not to be so hungry that you need to eat the bait in the fridge.

Reactions: CiG
Oh okay that's definitely a lot heavier. The problem with seeking that kind of isolation is that you don't really know how much it will help or harm your mental state until you try it and who has the kind of money to just move houses like that? I feel for you man it's a tough one.
that's why i said RV ;). My favorite place to be is in the mountains. Absolute serenity for me. And i sure in the hell am not going to be buying/building a house up there. Plus i can just get up and go somewhere else whenever i want like a fucking drifter lol. I can always go back to my family home if shit gets too hard.

And i dont think it will have much effect on my mental state since ive been pretty "isolated" for the past 2-3 years already. I could be wrong though

Reactions: CiG
The 80's and 90's version of Glamping :p

Beer, fire, food, music and a fishing rod...and the hope not to be so hungry that you need to eat the bait in the fridge.

that's why i said RV ;).

Shit my bad. Good point, an RV really changes everything. Sounds like it might be a good experiment regardless of the reasons man. Just get out and hit the road.

Yeah but when camping it's worth preserving all the power you can (for the VHS player) so you can't have the parking lights turned on all the time :p

I wish any depression I experienced was that glorious and my idea of coping that fulfilling. But instead I tremor silently that I can't play video games more often in solitude on a rainy day for 12 hours because I'm busy and have relationships. More of a childish whining than depression you might say but fuck you you're wrong.

Reactions: Dak
As a lazy introvert I've only really gotten close to a few people on my own terms, and they tend to be introverted themselves or busy with their own lives, so it's not as if I allow anyone irritating to take a toll on me in the first place. But yeah, hang around the right people or no people at all I guess?

I dig the beauty of remote places, particularly the lesser-trekked parts of the west coast of NZ's south island. But that's a case of being drawn towards rather than away from something. It is an area where people go to disappear, but I'd miss Auckland's live shows and near non-existent winters too much.

Reactions: Manic Ferocity