The food thread.

try preparing mashed potatos with garlic and philadelphia cream cheese...FTW you boil the potatos and the garlic..try with 5 or 7 cloves and them mix everything with the philadelphia cheese..do not use milk..just the cheese and a little bit of hot water if it's too hard, and add a teaspoon of butter....and then you can serve it with some stired vegetables in soy sauce...try it it's awesome...

My only downfall when it comes to sweets. Peppermint icecream, i could eat a half gallon in one sitting.

peppermint-icecream.jpg

I love Subway and there is no other sub place where I live. I would have to travel just get a sub. I think Subway is great. It was that or going to Denny's. And I am in no mood for Denny's and sitting around with my family.

Something about food and trends; I've noticed that currently in Sweden, any food with the epithet "French peasant - .." is seen as hip, trendy and sophisticated.
"And to this I serve some newly baked French peasant bread", or "if I'm hungry at night, I just head into the kitchen and throw together a quick French peasant omelette". Meanwhile, if someone comes along and says "if I'm hungry at night, I just head into the kitchen and fix me some Swedish peasant food", he's seen as a lame and backwards hick. Apparently French farming is something you want to associate yourself with, while Swedish farming is something you want to distance yourself from as much as possible.

Is this kind of thing only a Swedish phenomena, or can you say that similar attitudes exist in your own countries (that is, is your own "lower class" food looked down upon in favour of foreign "lower class" food)? I'm especially curious about how the situations are IN France and Italy (the two most usual places aimed for by the Swedish food-trendwhores). How open minded are these two countries themselves about this sort of thing do you think, not at all or more than people would think?

Well certain countries and cultures seem to have their food viewed almost as an art, such as French and Italian. There are all sorts of fine dining restaurants revolving around French and Italian (and others as well), because they are typically known for their food. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever heard of a Swedish (or Scandinavian) fine dining type restaurant here in the states, just like the only American fine dining is generally steakhouses.

I guess that's sort of different then French peasant bread and Swedish peasant food, but oh well.