The food thread.

How do you like onions in recipes? Minced down, sauteed, not at all? Does it depend on the dish for you?

I dont like yellow/red onions really, but green onions and chives are different for me.

Different onions different recipes, some times more than one variety in a dish. How they are delivered is also very dependant on the dish

Reactions: Sophii
@Slammed Here's our Aldi ad from this week...
NITBDLp.jpg

FC5XN56.jpg

Reactions: Slammed and Sophii
Not that much different to ours, although avocados a fuckside cheaper.
They give us a maybe a 10 page catalogue with weekly specials and I think they call it best buy specials. Half the catalogue is printed upside down so you can tell that dishwashers and flat screen TV's aren't part of the weekly fruit and vegetables specials.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Not that much different to ours, although avocados a fuckside cheaper.
They give us a maybe a 10 page catalogue with weekly specials and I think they call it best buy specials. Half the catalogue is printed upside down so you can tell that dishwashers and flat screen TV's aren't part of the weekly fruit and vegetables specials.
dammit, and here i was thinking this weeks flatscreens were gonna be $2.89 per lb.

Reactions: Slammed
Just as long are you don't get mistaken and try to dice up a pair of running shoes along with slicing the camping accessories and put them in your lunch. Even Aldi know those two ingredients don't work well together.

Just as long are you don't get mistaken and try to dice up a pair of running shoes along with slicing the camping accessories and put them in your lunch. Even Aldi know those two ingredients don't work well together.
Says who? well us 'Mericans still have azodicarbonamide in a lot our bread. nothing like some good ole yoga mats and shoe soles in our food!

Subway vowed last week to remove from its food a chemical that's also used to make foam plastics like yoga mats and shoe soles. The substance, azodicarbonamide, is commonly used among fast-food chains as a dough conditioner because it makes bread more elastic
https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/these-foods-contain-chemicals-found-in-yoga-mats-group/

Reactions: Slammed
We aren't cool enough to have soul in our daily meals, it's only for special occasions!

Elastic bread? Who wants elastic bread?
After years of working for a massive bakery that produced shitloads of bread a day I know there was a lot of weird shit put in bread to make it last on the shelf longer but I'm unaware if we have that shit in our bread. Sometimes our bread feels as hard as cement but I'd never have suggested it was elastic.

Yeah it's pretty sad. When I started with the bakery in the 90's we used to replace all bread daily, fresh stuff was on the shelves when the supermarkets opened, bigger city stores got two deliveries a day but the rest only got one delivery. We ordered to minimise waste but maximise sales and would return what wasn't sold for bread crumbs and other uses. The idea was to return as few as possible through good ordering and understanding sales. But by the mid 00's we had a two day loaf. The bakery was still working it's arse off but we left Monday's unsold bread on the shelf until Wednesday, Tuesday's until Thursday etc. Made it harder to order right but helped the bakery produce more varieties. By 2010 all the mainstream varieties were three days loaves. Bread still got delivered everyday but if Monday's didn't sell it could potentially stay on the shelf until Thursday before it went back for crumbing.

I'm pretty sure you call them something different over there but things like Fruit toast (bread with fruit in it to toast for breakfast), crumpets, and English muffins, piklets and pancakes always had three days on them and were only available to deliver on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but by the time I finished up there we were told to keep that shit on the shelf for minimum five days if it didn't sell.

Shelf life like that only comes from adding shit preservatives and additives which don't need to be there.

But the biggest fuck up of a product was hot cross buns for Easter. Not sure if you have them in American but they are nothing more than spiced and fruited buns the bakery make all year but come Easter time they put a cross on them and people got fucking stupid for them. It's gotten ridiculous now and the bakeries are putting them in stores the week after christmas but despite their claim that public demand is driving them to be on the shelf so early they really don't sell and all drivers, store personnel, etc are told that hot cross buns stay on the shelf a full 7 days before getting returned to the bakery.

There is no such thing as fresh bread in this country unless it's still warm from the oven.

We used to use Hibachi cameras for video production, only they spelt it Hitachi :)

Are you talking a traditional Hibachi or what the north American's refer to as a hibachi?

I haven't got a traditional Hibachi, the bowl, but I have got teppanyaki plate which apparently some places in America call a hibachi