The food thread.

:lol: i didint know scrambled eggs taste different in other parts of the world

Before I went on the cruise I didn't realise it was different either, but the texture is completely different and so is the taste. When I do scrambled eggs the base is pretty much just eggs and a small amount of milk or cream, after that the extra ingredients can be anything. What we had on the boat was just straight eggs but it was completely different and labelled as American Scrambled Eggs. They also had English bacon which was plain and tasteless. It was shortcut bacon and the American or Canadian bacon was rashes but the taste was just all wrong and I have no idea what the fuck they do to bacon to make it taste like crap.

so without a pie crust its basically scrambled eggs with bacon and veggies? Why the werid name then?

I dunno, ask a frog. It's apparently French for cake or something. I think the western world might have adapted it to a main meal rather than a cake/desert but I have no idea.

AAAwwwweeee fuck. I haven't made Kung Pao for ages. Going to have to fix that this weekend I think.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
im gonna take a guess and say that was probably some shitty eggs and bacon that was from Australia and they just wanted to make you guys feel special by saying it was "American" but most likely had nothing to do with our great country.
200.gif

AAAwwwweeee fuck. I haven't made Kung Pao for ages. Going to have to fix that this weekend I think.
father in laws cook book?

Reactions: Slammed
im gonna take a guess and say that was probably some shitty eggs and bacon that was from Australia and they just wanted to make you guys feel special by saying it was "American" but most likely had nothing to do with our great country.

And I'm not even going to take a stab at that one :p

father in laws cook book?

Partly but I've made some changes over the years

I found one take away place in Sydney that could do authentic Mongolian but I've never found anywhere else. Even my F-I-L didn't make the sort I like. I found a recipe a few months back that is close but it takes about 2 1/2 hours to make and prepare so I haven't done it much.

The name quiche is derived from the German word for tart, which is basically what a quiche is: a breakfast tart. It doesn't just have eggs, bacon and vegetables either, it also has cream or milk and bacon is often replaced with seafood. It's my mum's favourite food ever, especially after binge drinking like a degenerate. Good hot or cold.

oh i love real Mongolian food, espeically when it's cooked on one of those big ass hot rocks. Ill take that over any other asian food tbh. But im talking about the chinese dish here. It's basically crispy ass sweeet beef. uuugh

Yeah most take aways here don't do a good Mongolian because they tend to be Chinese or Japanese. It's the same as satay, they can be completely different between places and in some places they are different between main course and entree.

The name quiche is derived from the German word for tart,.

Oh yeah that's right. I even said that earlier in this thread.

It's scrambled eggs, bacon and any vegies you want to add with or without a pie crust on the bottom. That ain't nasty...although I gotta say I did have American scrambled eggs on the cruise last month and they taste like shit so maybe a quiche really is nasty when it crosses international borders. :p
Either we're talking about two different quiches or you're way oversimplifying. In the ones I've always had, the eggs are super dense and congealed (probably due to the milk/cream CIG mentioned) to the point that the texture is nothing like scrambled eggs. There's also a crust on top because it's baked, which makes it even worse. I've had it served cold a number of times too... cold eggs are generally disgusting unless they're hardboiled or deviled.

Of course the texture is different, it's cooked differently to scrambled eggs. But the mix is basically the same, just like it is for omelettes. If you put a scrambled egg mix in a pan and let it cook without mixing it and breaking it up it's basically the same thing.

In the ones I've always had, the eggs are super dense and congealed (probably due to the milk/cream CIG mentioned) to the point that the texture is nothing like scrambled eggs.

Yeah they're more like a custard tart in terms of consistency, which is honestly pretty weird. My brother and my dad despise quiche but I like it, it's a pretty divisive dish. :tickled:

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
I'm required to cook for tomorrow's lunch. Something quick, supposed to be vegetarian, can't be pasta because we've had that today. Any ideas? I'll probably end up doing something quick on a pan and rice. It's the easy way out. I can also bake some potatoes with veggies and cover that with a cheese crust.

Fried rice: Rice, Garlic, onion, diced carrot, peas, egg, chicken stock, oyster sauce, kecap manis.

It's better with bacon but obviously the vegos will get shitty with that. Do enough rice and you'll only need one dish and about 10 mins free time

Reactions: Onder
Quiche is so fuckin good.
We made chili the other night, but very scarce in essential vegetables (celery, peppers, onion) luckily it wasn't beanless; thats a sin to not have beans in your chili.