The "I don't understand why people DON'T like this band" thread

Yes obviously, but what is your point in your initial comment then? I could just as easily say, the vast majority of black metal bands have generic, re-hashed and unoriginal riffs, standard and predictable vocals, and a corpse-paint image-driven appeal along with a trendy "true black metal" existence and message. Does that mean that all of those bands are bad?
The point of my post was to explain my opinion and why I held it. Because that is all anyone can do when discussing music, I did not feel the need to preface it with "It is my opinion that...". Why do you make any posts about why Dimmu Borgir is good?

The point of my post was to explain my opinion and why I held it. Because that is all anyone can do when discussing music, I did not feel the need to preface it with "It is my opinion that...". Why do you make any posts about why Dimmu Borgir is good?

I don't think he has actually.

@Arse (hahaahaha clever!) diavoli:

It has nothing to do with true-ness, you idiot! It has to do with making commercial shit metal, wrapped up as something else, something better. And you were the one trying to pass off that they stopped calling themselves black metal, which is obviously a lie. Or perhaps they say different things from interview to interview, it's hard to tell with these guys. And the Cradle part was completely incidental; just happened to be a part of the first interview I found.

And refusing to see that Dimmu actually spends more time on photo shoots than writing quality music is just wishful thinking from a silly little fanboy, refusing to accept that his favourite "black metal band" is actually a fraud.

It has nothing to do with true-ness, you idiot! It has to do with making commercial shit metal, wrapped up as something else, something better. And you were the one trying to pass off that they stopped calling themselves black metal, which is obviously a lie. Or perhaps they say different things from interview to interview, it's hard to tell with these guys. And the Cradle part was completely incidental; just happened to be a part of the first interview I found.

And refusing to see that Dimmu actually spends more time on photo shoots than writing quality music is just wishful thinking from a silly little fanboy, refusing to accept that his favourite "black metal band" is actually a fraud.

Sigh. I said they were no longer calling themselves TROO BLACK METAL! Not denying that they had black metal in their music. Seriously... if you are on stage and are trying to get an audience pumped what sounds better "You guys wanna hear some Norweigan Black Metal?!" Or "You guys wanna hear some modern extreme metal with some black metal elements in it?!"

It wouldn't surprise me if DB acutally spent more time on photo shoots then making music. After all "popular" bands tend to get interviews and such and so there is a demand. You would too if you were in a popular band. And I wouldn't consider them my favorite BM band... though they are high on my list. And frankly I could give a shit if they are "frauds" or not because I don't fucking care if they are tr00 to some scenes ideologies. The only thing that matters AT ALL in music is whether or not it is moving/entertaining. I think they are so I like them.

Your post is laughable because is consists of nothing but naive and childish assumptions. How is their music wrapped up as something better? Maybe they believe that their music stands out above others because they aren't partial (once again) to genre limiting and cliches.

By trying to find things in interviews tells me a couple things. a)you're having a hard time trying to support what you're saying because it really has no decent basis in the first place and by doing this you are only looking for reasons why you dislike them - because you really haven't proven anything. Or b) Maybe your ability to read interviews and perceive the world around you accordingly is just poor?

If anything Dimmu spends more time touring than anything else. Dimmu is by no means my favourite black metal band nor are they a fraud. Once again, your ability to discern or observe anything is weak. You are like-minded with those who say "because that band is popular now, they must be a sellout" or at least you approach with the same style of argument which is purely based on assumption, that has no proof whatsoever.

Your post is laughable because is consists of nothing but naive and childish assumptions. How is their music wrapped up as something better? Maybe they believe that their music stands out above others because they aren't partial (once again) to genre limiting and cliches.

By trying to find things in interviews tells me a couple things. a)you're having a hard time trying to support what you're saying because it really has no decent basis in the first place and by doing this you are only looking for reasons why you dislike them. or b) Maybe your ability to read interviews and perceive the world around you accordingly is just poor?

If anything Dimmu spends more time touring than anything else. Dimmu is by no means my favourite black metal band nor are they a fraud. Once again, your ability to discern or observe is weak.

Well, to be honest, boy, your posts haven't really consisted of anything beyond you telling me my "assumptions" are asinine and childish. You can scream that my posts aren't valid all you want, but that won't change fact; Dimmu do try to pass themselves off as black metal. They do use the fact that they're Norwegian as a gimmick. Hence why they try to wrap it up as something better; by claiming to be part of a long-lost scene that actually had any value and integrity.

I'm pretty tired of arguing about this, actually, as nothing I could say would ever change your mind.

Well, to be honest, boy, your posts haven't really consisted of anything beyond you telling me my "assumptions" are asinine and childish. You can scream that my posts aren't valid all you want, but that won't change fact; Dimmu do try to pass themselves off as black metal. They do use the fact that they're Norwegian as a gimmick. Hence why they try to wrap it up as something better; by claiming to be part of a long-lost scene that actually had any value and integrity.

I'm pretty tired of arguing about this, actually, as nothing I could say would ever change your mind.

Because they are...and I'm just countering them because they aren't truth. Darkthrone, Mayhem etc do this all the time and far more than Dimmu ever has. There's nothing wrong with it, if they believe that their music is true (true to what? themselves as opposed to a scene, Darkthrone does just the same) and Dimmu were once a part of the scene anyways. Maybe not one of the originals or founders but they did form in about '93 or earlier. As I've pointed out they aren't clones so that would explain why they believe their music has value to it, the Norwegian Black Metal reference is symbolic of this because it opposes so-called black metal clones and copies that sprung from the scene.

Just because they existed in the same region at nearly the same time does not mean they were "part of the scene."

Just because they existed in the same region at nearly the same time does not mean they were "part of the scene."

I wasn't referring to the original black metal scene in Norway but the scene in general there, as it would become. They at least existed as the black metal scene was growing. Nearly every black metal band is convinced their music is "true" anyhow. You've still got new bands even today proclaiming to be "true black metal from Norway" or "true black metal from China."

Everybody knows what the phrase "True Norwegian Black Metal" means, and it's not "a Black Metal band that lives in Norway whose music the band believes to be true." You're splitting hairs.

Everybody knows what the phrase "True Norwegian Black Metal" means, and it's not "a Black Metal band that lives in Norway whose music the band believes to be true." You're splitting hairs.

The term "True Norwegian Black Metal" isn't so much fact, it's just a title. Take Gorgoroth for example who have been around just as long as Dimmu Borgir has) have even used the term quite a number of times - but you'll never see someone complain about that.