The Most Universally Respected Bands (among metalheads)

I am obviously not a metal head... ah well

Would say Black Sabbath is acctually the only one that qualifys, possibly Maiden and Priest but both of those have huge amount of people that really hate their music. Sabbath of course also has some problems due to Ozzy's voice, "Born Again" etc.

Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, Exodus and all the other huge Thrash metal bands can be writen off at once, Slayer because they are downright boring most of the time, Metallica because either they are too hard or too soft ;) although they have some songs that are more or less universaly liked. Megadeth is off due to the vocals, personly i love 'em. Anthrax (by far my fav of these) is shuned by many due to the public enemy cover, and unheard of by many. Exodus and Testament is both somewhat unknow outside their genre.

Helloween, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Gamma Ray etc. is off becuase Power metal ist GAY! (i still like it though)

Windir is not an option, one its to unheard of, two its not that good, three they are becomming a "trend" band ;)

Bathory, Venom, Darkthrone, Celtic Frost etc.

Too unknown. Bathory i have acctually never heard anything of, Venom is decent in a punkish way, Darkthrone is morons, CF is decent.

Immortal, Emporor, Mayhem.

NO!NO!NO! I dislike Gayhem, dont give a shit about Emporor and find Immortal at best amusing.

Gorgoroth is an option but they fail due to the fact that they are too extream.

What is peoples thougths on WASP?

I don't like you.

Fail, for false information, as well as contradicting yourself.

Troll?

Windir is quite famous in Norway, and was at least at a time a typical poser band that loads of kids went around proclaiming the greatness of. The reason for the contradiction is that while quite famouos in Norway Winder was never famous outside its sub-gener outside of Norway. Vreid the band that was formed after Valfar died is prehaps more famous internationaly but is not that well established either.

Troll is mostly known by people listening to extream metal exclusivly and thus is also not good choice.

^That's odd, because usually every metalhead I've talked too (online & in person) doesn't know who the hell Vreid is. What they do know however, is Valfar, Windir, and a good portion of Windir's discography.

You can argue all you want about how "good" they are, or how much people respect them; but they are definitely one of the most well known bands around.

I've had the oposite experience online, so of course my conclusion might be false. As to if Windir is good or not, well i never made a personal statement on that matter. I like some songs but find the majority of the songs boring.

Windir is a folk-black metal band from Sogndal in Norway that got alot of fame after the death of the founder Terje "Valfar" Bakken and Vreid is the "sesion" musicians that was included inn Windir on the 3rd album.

Windir is a folk-black metal band from Sogndal in Norway that got alot of fame after the death of the founder Terje "Valfar" Bakken and Vreid is the "sesion" musicians that was included inn Windir on the 3rd album.

No folk-black metal band will ever be among the most respected bands among metalheads. Bands buried too far in sub-genres, especially one involving folk and black metal, will never appeal to enough people to be universally known or respected.

No folk-black metal band will ever be among the most respected bands among metalheads. Bands buried too far in sub-genres, especially one involving folk and black metal, will never appeal to enough people to be universally known or respected.

What about Finntroll? They're quite popular, and I don't see much to disrespect about them..

They're not even popular enough to be even considered in contention, and they get tons of hate.

Well in terms of popularity and respect, I think they are pretty high among folk-black metal bands. But that plateau isn't very high to begin with compared to most other genres.