The Never Ending Now Playing Thread

I've been listening too many things lately, but I got the new Agalloch... I'm not sure what to say, besides that it's frustrating. There are tons of cool ideas but the songs don't flow really well IMO.

Vex // Thanatopsis — Painfully overlooked record. Reminds me of The Chasm.
Ironwood // Storm over Sea*— This is a really cool record. Comes out on the first of December in the US, I suppose it's been out for a while in Europe. But honestly, this is great shit! It's like mixing Genesis and folk/viking metal. Quite unique and quite enjoyable.

This song reflects a certain moment of my - recent - life. I just love Journey.

Well, I heard Agalloch's Marrow of the spirit carefully and I can say what I don't like from it. 1.- Production: it's bland as fuck, period. 2.- The vocal delivery is most of time lifeless. 3.- Some parts lack the feeling to hypnotize the listener and, since there are really long sections repeated over and over, at the end I found myself struggling to finish listening the album, with a bitter taste in my mouth/ears and bored. 4.- There are some good ideas tho, but I really think the songwriting is not fluent at all. Some heavy parts are great, but followed by bad acoustic arrangements and/or viceversa.

Yesterday I heard Borknagar's Universal, just after listening Norron Livskunst and I found it pretty interesting from a different perspective. As a Borknagar album, I think it's ok, but not great compared to Empiricism and Epic, but as an avantgarde black metal album it's excellent. I'm loving For a Thousand Years to Come, Fleshflower and Coalition of the Elements. The only track which sounds 100% Borknagar is My Domain.

About NL... fuck, I love it. It has everything what Solefald is known for and they managed to create something completely new at the same time . It's epic, catchy, heavy, dark at times, funny at moments; the diversity of the album is just incredible. The lyrics are also very good! the vocal delivery of Cornelius is just stunning, I just forgot how good growler he was, it's a weird mix of Nocturno Culto, old Satyr and something else that give a very special character and feel to the voice. Lars sounds epic as fuck, I really hope he could get more leads vocals on the future Borknagar albums. Sometimes he sounds just as epic as on the Asmegin debut, sometimes even more. His sense of harmony is just awesome, the arrangements are just perfect. The production is top notch and well, I'm still blown away.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idE1lsqG2Vc

This song reflects a certain moment of my - recent - life. I just love Journey.

Well, I heard Agalloch's Marrow of the spirit carefully and I can say what I don't like from it. 1.- Production: it's bland as fuck, period. 2.- The vocal delivery is most of time lifeless. 3.- Some parts lack the feeling to hypnotize the listener and, since there are really long sections repeated over and over, at the end I found myself struggling to finish listening the album, with a bitter taste in my mouth/ears and bored. 4.- There are some good ideas tho, but I really think the songwriting is not fluent at all. Some heavy parts are great, but followed by bad acoustic arrangements and/or viceversa.

Yesterday I heard Borknagar's Universal, just after listening Norron Livskunst and I found it pretty interesting from a different perspective. As a Borknagar album, I think it's ok, but not great compared to Empiricism and Epic, but as an avantgarde black metal album it's excellent. I'm loving For a Thousand Years to Come, Fleshflower and Coalition of the Elements. The only track which sounds 100% Borknagar is My Domain.

About NL... fuck, I love it. It has everything what Solefald is known for and they managed to create something completely new at the same time . It's epic, catchy, heavy, dark at times, funny at moments; the diversity of the album is just incredible. The lyrics are also very good! the vocal delivery of Cornelius is just stunning, I just forgot how good growler he was, it's a weird mix of Nocturno Culto, old Satyr and something else that give a very special character and feel to the voice. Lars sounds epic as fuck, I really hope he could get more leads vocals on the future Borknagar albums. Sometimes he sounds just as epic as on the Asmegin debut, sometimes even more. His sense of harmony is just awesome, the arrangements are just perfect. The production is top notch and well, I'm still blown away.

Ah Journey's awesome. I love Journery.

I still like the new Agalloch :p .

And it's true what you said about "having a new perspective" with Universal. I listened to it, and, whilst I don't think it's perfect, I enjoy it more and more every time I listen to it. I think that what really damaged the releases was the production; it's not very good when compared to other albums like Solefald's.

On Solefald, yes, I love it. It's the best Solefald album in a long time, probably since Pills. As I've said before, I feel that it contains the Solefald from every single era, from the crazy Avant-Garde, to Folk, to more Black Songs. The band, somehow, managed to obtain a great balance in all the songs. I feel that the album can be divided in two parts, before and after Eukalyptstreet. Before is more AG, and after is, at times, more Black, even if it still has certain AG elements.

But yeah, I can't stop listening to it; I've been doing so on an almost daily basis since I got it :p . And I still haven't grown tired of it!

Did my top-10 for 2010 a couple of weeks ago. Might need to edit it later though...
http://adabsurdumh.blogspot.com/2010/11/topp-10-skivor-2010_04.html (in Swedish)

That's a good list, I think. The new Fejd I've had a lot of trouble getting into, unfortunately. And I've not even had time to attack that Arckanum record. The Borknagar and Vulture Industries are a little bit higher ranked than I'd put 'em (eh, not on the list.. :p), but there's no accounting for taste.

Also: Istapp! \m/ I think they'll at least get an honorable mention if they don't make the list.