The (not so) Stupid Questions Thread

I think he uses his screams too much; his growls sound better. He does have excellent range and clarity. I haven't seen anyone criticise his vocals, but if I did I would strongly disagree.

I don't get the hate for Chris Barnes' vocals. People actually praise his vocals on Tomb of the Mutialted, but when it comes to Six Feet Under, everybody starts to criticize how bad his vocals are.

Chris Barnes' vocals actually deteriorated when he started SFU. The vocals he's done since with Severe Torture are better, but I'm afraid he's just lost it altogether.

Uh...do you mean Torture Killer?

Anyhow, the vocals on TotM are actually pretty meh, but it's a damn good album anyways so he inevitably gets some praise that rubs off from that. His vocals on Vile are just laughable, though. SFU are completely atrocious in every way.

I'm curious to know the technique people use when they sing in the typical 80's hair metal style, or like Rob Lowe.

Actually, specifically how one sings like Lowe.

Are they very loud (sans the microphone)? Or are they typically only as loud as a typical spoken convo? What exercises do you do in order to expand into that range?

Rob Lowe of Solitude Aeturnus? 80's metal? Is that who you're talking about?
When I think of 80's hair metal vocals, I think of Tom Kiefer, Steve Whiteman, or maybe even Mark Slaughter. As for those guys, it is loud falsetto singing/screaming, which is all from the diaphragm.

Mistake me not, I'm not saying that Lowe is an 80's style vocalist - for one that man has a beautiful voice despite his technique (just... great tone!).

From the diaphragm doesn't help counting mostly all vocal styles use the diaphragm so the throat isn't damaged. I was looking for the specifics that are used other than the diaphragm; example: Death metal vocals are different from black metal vocals, yet both techniques (if done properly) get their "staying power" from the diaphragm. In essence what I am asking is the differentiation in technique that separates death metal from the epic clean singing vocal style (and there is one, we can all hear it plain as day).

I can actually emulate the 80's metal style clean vocals (though not quite good enough to seriously pursue a career as a vocalist), and basically it is regular clean singing. Using falsetto and upper-midrange tones, blended with a little bit of nasally "twang" and scratchy "vibration" of the vocal chords reproduces the tone of the "hair bands" fairly well. It doesn't sound right unless you really belt it out and wail. I used to play bass and sing backing vocals in a cover band in which we played a lot of hair/80's metal songs and the vocalist taught me his technique. It's pretty simple, but to sound good depends entirely on one's level of talent.

I can actually emulate the 80's metal style clean vocals (though not quite good enough to seriously pursue a career as a vocalist), and basically it is regular clean singing. Using falsetto and upper-midrange tones, blended with a little bit of nasally "twang" and scratchy "vibration" of the vocal chords reproduces the tone of the "hair bands" fairly well. It doesn't sound right unless you really belt it out and wail. I used to play bass and sing backing vocals in a cover band in which we played a lot of hair/80's metal songs and the vocalist taught me his technique. It's pretty simple, but to sound good depends entirely on one's level of talent.

That's what I'm talking about. Belting it eh? hmmmm.

I like both George Fisher and Chris Barnes. I get a different kind of brutality from both of them. There is a big difference of musicality between eaten back to life and evisceration plague.