The (not so) Stupid Questions Thread

The humanoid creature emerging from the centre, the weird, spike-like objects emerging around them and the beam of light coming from the top centre. Seriously, you don't see any similarity?

They look different, but if you asked me to describe them I'd have to give more or less the same description of each;

Band logo in upper left corner
Figure emerging with arms raised a little right of center
Spiky metallic gooey stuff all around
Stormy sky with some sort of vortex aligned behind the figure

the fuck??? it looks like the controversial thread.

about dissection, you guys must stop to give different names for the styles. dissection is black metal, but if somebody has found a death riff passage, so they are death/black? no, they are black with some influences, just it.

Cannibal corpse is awesome. For sure i prefer Chris, but Corpsegrinder isn't that bad. blood thirsty is an excellent brutal death albun, and the most important thing: they are unique on the stage. i bet anybody to find another band playing so well than CC. Probably Napalm or Morbid Angel can play so well, but better???

Chris Barnes sounds like he's fucking bored doing vocals. I don't hate him (don't give a big enough shit honestly), but I certainly think Corpsegrinder is a better vocalist.

Here is a not so stupid question. What the fuck happened to Borknagar? The new album is not good at all. Total devolution since their early glory days. The last 3 albums have been crap.

The answer to your question is Vintersorg.

In all honesty though the last album I listened to by them was Empiricism, and it wasn't a bad album, so I can't really help you there.

Empiricism is the last good album they made. Some of it it wonderful, some not so much. Everything they have made since that album has been, as stated before, total shit. I don't think it's V since they already proved they can make a solid record with him. My biggest gripe is just the melodies. They go nowhere. Bland and boring.

Is the Sword legit doom metal or not? Is to me but I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume I'm wrong.

Sorry for being a noob, but when can I say? What really were Burzum's big influences at the start? Varg claims to have not listened to Bathory but they seem like a pretty obvious influence. What's the concensus on 'War,' surely he "borrowed" that song from Bathory. The chorus is shockingly similar and even the guitar solo is similar.

Easy, Varg is genius...and retarded at the same time. I love the guy's music, but the man is a dumb ass in other aspects.

The Sword is not doom. They could pass as a stoner band, but I guess I'd classify them as more of a "traditional" or heavy metal band.
The song "War" does sound somewhat like Bathory, but I would be willing to bet that Varg actually didn't listen to much metal at all when he started writing and recording music and was just going for what he thought was the heaviest sound possible.

Well...I mean...he was in Mayhem so I'm sure that he either listened to it or was surrounded by band mates who listened to metal. You could argue that he had already formed Burzum and came out with 2 demos and an EP before he did work with Mayhem. But for some reason I just find it suspect that he "didn't listen to metal" and yet came out with the BM scene around the same time everyone else in the same area did.

EDIT: Never mind, you said Bathory and not metal in general. My rant was for nothing...

You could argue that he had already formed Burzum and came out with 2 demos and an EP before he did work with Mayhem. But for some reason I just find it suspect that he "didn't listen to metal" and yet came out with the BM scene around the same time everyone else in the same area did.

I said "didn't listen to much metal" "Much" is the key word there. You'd be surprised at how many metal musicians are largely ignorant of the genre. After all, Varg claims to have never listened to Bathory, and I would assume most metal musicians in the early 1990's, whether they played black metal or not, had at that point listened to (some) Bathory.

EDIT: Never mind, you said Bathory and not metal in general. My rant was for nothing.

I never said that. As a matter of fact, I can't remember anyone here saying that.

http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/a_burzum_story01.shtml

When I started Burzum I hadn't even heard about Venom, so naturally Burzum is not - like some have claimed - influenced by Venom, in any way. When I drove home after "sword" fights, listening to music, I listened to a demo tape of Paradise Lost, released in 1989 or 1990 I think, Bathory's "Hammerheart" and "Blood. Fire. Death", the Old Funeral demo tape, called "Abduction Of Limbs" (...), Pestilence (a Dutch Death Metal band, as far as I remember) and some other underground Death Metal bands that I don't recall today, I listened to underground house and techno music (although only when I was alone, because metal people don't seem to like that kind of music) - and of course I listened to Burzum. The other guys liked Entombed and Morbid Angel, but I have never liked or listened to that. Nobody listened to Venom, by the way, but in late 1991 we began to listen to our old Celtic Frost, Destruction, early Kreator ("Pleasure To Kill" and "Endless Pain") and (the older) Bathory records as well, that we all saw as Thrash Metal, by the way. Entombed and other trendy Death Metal crap was forgotten by then. I know the guys in Emperor listened to Merciful Fate and King Diamond instead of, or perhaps in addition to, the bands I mentioned above, stuff they had listened to in the 1980ies, so there was no theory that You had to listen to this or that band. We listened to whatever we liked. In 1992 I (and at least one of the Emperor guys) also began to listen to Dead Can Dance, "Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun" and similar music. We were all simply tired of all the boring, trendy and unoriginal hordes of Death Metal bands that produced tons of crappy albums that all sounded the same, and we went back to what we had listened to before or found other music to listen to. Of course I also kept listening to the good Death Metal releases, like the Paradise Lost demo I mentioned above, and I know the others kept listening to Morbid Angel's "Altar Of Madness", and Deicide (when they released their debut album, in 1992 I think).

I said "didn't listen to much metal" "Much" is the key word there.

I skimmed over the Much part. Also corrected myself in my edit, pretty much acknowledging that there is a chance he may have not listened to Bathory(basically meaning "Disregard my rant because for some reason I saw 'Didn't listen to metal' and not what you said") but I still doubt it.

Also the Edit was also more or less aimed towards the guy who brought the question to light. Who did say that Varg claimed to not have listened to Bathory...which means someone here did say that?
I'm just tired, sick, and confused. My apologies