The (not so) Stupid Questions Thread

Is it true that slam is one of the most hated genres in metal? If so, why? I just got Devourment's entire discography along with Awaiting The Autopsy's "Couldn't Tell The Bodies Apart" and I haven't listened to anything else in the last few days.

I meant outside of these forums. I know basically everyone here is a massive slam fan but I've read many negative comments about slam elsewhere.

Is Gorguts' Obscura out of print? I ask this because, for some reason, it's like 50 quid on Amazon. I wouldn't have thought that an album that's still being produced would cost so much. I understand that it's one of the most technical death metal albums of all time but there's no way I'm paying that much to get it on a CD when I could download it for £7.99 on iTunes and then put it on a disc anyway. Does anyone know where I could get it in CD form cheaply?

I've been trying, but I can't find it for a good price anywhere, and now Kevin doesn't love me anymore.

Is it true that slam is one of the most hated genres in metal? If so, why? I just got Devourment's entire discography along with Awaiting The Autopsy's "Couldn't Tell The Bodies Apart" and I haven't listened to anything else in the last few days.

I hate most of it because most of it's ridiculously bland and generic. Plus the album production is always terrible sounding. I actually used to like it quite alot but one day I put it on and realized that I disliked everything about it.

Is Gorguts' Obscura out of print? I ask this because, for some reason, it's like 50 quid on Amazon. I wouldn't have thought that an album that's still being produced would cost so much. I understand that it's one of the most technical death metal albums of all time but there's no way I'm paying that much to get it on a CD when I could download it for £7.99 on iTunes and then put it on a disc anyway. Does anyone know where I could get it in CD form cheaply?

Ebay would be your best bet. Just check up on it every week or so. Prices will fluctuate quite alot but if you check up consistently then you'll get one for cheap eventually.

Ebay would be your best bet. Just check up on it every week or so. Prices will fluctuate quite alot but if you check up consistently then you'll get one for cheap eventually.

There are two copies on Ebay but they're still pretty expensive. Hopefully a cheap one will turn up. Thanks.

I dont see how slam is really that hated... shit, it's pretty much the fastest growing genre of metal at this point.

I hate most of it because most of it's ridiculously bland and generic. Plus the album production is always terrible sounding. I actually used to like it quite alot but one day I put it on and realized that I disliked everything about it.

How does one completely and suddenly change their mind with such a sweeping generality? Actually, fuck it, I dont care, defector. :)

I dont see how slam is really that hated... shit, it's pretty much the fastest growing genre of metal at this point.

I'm just repeating what I read. IIRC, it was the review of Unleash The Carnivore on Sputnikmusic. I think the guy writing it was a bit of a douche though so it was probably unreliable. Yeah, just forget I said anything in the first place. Slam rules!

You shouldn't care what other people think about slam anyways:p. What if everyone were to hate the genre on this forum, would you still like it as much or denounce it ever so quickly?

Of course not. I listen to a lot of Nu Metal and Metalcore and I'm pretty sure not many people on these forums are too fond of these two genres. I don't care though, I like the music and without it I never would have discovered the real metal bands that I listen to now.

Here's something I've never understood... sometimes when I see a Dunkelheit/Burzum video there's a little Vh1 logo in the corner. This is some sort of joke, right? There's no way that Vh1 has ever played a Burzum video. I know that black metal was highly publicized in certain magazines during the 90s but... Vh1 is not the forum for that sort of thing. If any big channel was going to play Burzum, it would have been MTV. I mean, I wouldn't expect it there, either, but they at least did play a lot of weird, heavy and obscure stuff in the 90s.

Never thought about it. Does VH1 have a base of operations in Europe? I don't own or watch tv, so I have no idea if that is a stupid question or not, I mean, they're a huge company, but... yeah I have no idea.

I know on one of the infinite amount of "Top Whatever Blahblahblah" shows they have on VH1 they mentioned the whole Varg murdering Euronymous thing, and got almost all the facts wrong while Dee Snider's faggot ass ridiculed Varg and identified him as nothing more than "Mayhem's ex-bass player."