The (not so) Stupid Questions Thread

Here's a (not so)stupid question. is there any band that is considered just metal and not some other genre or sub genre?

All you have to do is strip the genrefication of metal and you can call label everything from death to black to funeral "metal".

Remember that genre's were applied to bands after-the-fact. Metallica never labeled themselves as thrash metal (they labeled themselves POWER metal), just like Sabbath never said they were Doom metal. When I think of Judas Priest or Maiden, I actually think the term Heavy Metal, as that's what was used when I was a wee little lad.

I was going to start a thread on this but, seeing as there's already been some Cannibal Corpse discussion on this thread, I may as well post it here.

I've noticed that most people here find Cannibal Corpse slightly above average at most. So my question is, why are they the most successful death metal band ever? I'm trusting Wikipedia on this one.

I was going to start a thread on this but, seeing as there's already been some Cannibal Corpse discussion on this thread, I may as well post it here.

I've noticed that most people here find Cannibal Corpse slightly above average at most. So my question is, why are they the most successful death metal band ever? I'm trusting Wikipedia on this one.

Ace Ventura ?

I think the shock value of CC coupled with the (relative) accessibility of the music catapulted them to near "rock-star" status and they've been riding on that reputation throughout their entire career. It helps that they do craft good DM songs (which is an opinion I know many here disagree with). Really though, Alex Webster is reason enough to listen to CC.

It's probably a really simple, obvious answer but can someone teel me why these two album covers are so similar. I know very little about these bands but I just noticed how alike the cover art is on these albums.

Prostitute%20Disfigurement%20-%20Descendants%20Of%20Depravity.jpg

Hour+of+penance+-+the+vile+conception.jpg