The Official Movie Thread

sorry if there was already a The Batman convo in here and I missed it, but my wife and I went to see it last weekend. I fuckin' liked it. Yeah it was pretty melodramatic in tone, but it is a Batman movie. I enjoyed the atmosphere and all the nods to serial killer films. And the score was intense, although the homage to the "Imperial March" was a bit distracting. Also, it was kinda nice to see a clumsy Batman.

Anyway, nothing to flip over but I enjoyed myself.

Reactions: CiG
I've been on a bit of a cinema trip as of late and still have The Northman to watch this coming Friday and then the new Nick Cage film next week. First up was Michael Bay's new film Ambulance. A real homage so to speak to the old school, crazy action flicks of the 1980s with an intensely, psychotic turn from Jake Gyllenhaal. Supporting cast were on point but I still feel that Yahya Abdul-Mateen III is the weak link in what I've seen him in so far. The action sequences were insane and the cinematography was like a well orchestrated and choreographed ballet. Overall a fun ride.
MV5BZGMwODBkMmUtMjZjNy00Y2YwLWEyZmQtYTczOTZmY2MyNDUxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMzODk3NDU0._V1_.jpg

Licorice Pizza was next. A fun and sweet coming of age film. Not one of Paul Thomas Anderson's best but still entertaining with a great turn from Bradley Cooper as film producer Jon Peters.
MV5BYjkwMzIxYzMtOTVkMS00NDQxLThkMjItNzgxN2RiNjdlNTliXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODE5NzE3OTE@._V1_.jpg

I watched Licorice Pizza & Red Rocket in the same day. The latter was the highlight. Sean Baker's latest and one that left an indelible mark on me. Simon Rex is incredible as one of the worst human beings ever. It's quite an explicit film but Baker handled it all well. I highly recommend.
MV5BM2Y1NDFlODYtYzMwZi00ZmRhLTg5ZWYtYTkwZWUyMTMyOWMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_ (1).jpg

Last night saw me watching Paul Verhoeven's latest venture Benedetta. A mix of nunsploitation with a dash of biblical reimagining's and gory violence. Again I highly recommend.
MV5BZTczZjQ0YjctZWE0NS00MmEwLTk0ZTAtY2E0MjBiYWY2NTYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAyOTE2ODg0._V1_.jpg

On an extra note I did watch Paul Andrew Williams latest film Bull via stream tonight. A sick and demented revenge thriller with some very nasty knife violence. Again another highly recommended film to watch.
MV5BODA0YjY0OTQtMzBjYy00NDIyLTkyZmItNjRiMTM1MWE5NGM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDA1MjIxNDM@._V1_.jpg

seriously fucking hyped for that. there are days when i'd call cronenberg my favourite director. he's a surprisingly funny guy too (maybe not so surprising after cosmopolis), been listening to some of his Q&As recently and he always has the audience laughing.

Liked the new Batman. Probably my favourite superhero flick since The Dark Knight, although for me that's not a particularly high bar. Loved the full on noir aesthetic (reminded me of Watchmen), the slow burn of the mystery (particularly over the first half) and the complete de-emphasis on gadgets or absurd physical feats was incredibly refreshing too. The ending was a bit of an anticlimax though (not to mention an epilogue that felt LOTR-esque in length). Not a fan of Kravitz's Catwoman either, they sucked all the mischief and allure out of that character.

Reactions: Einherjar86
seriously fucking hyped for that. there are days when i'd call cronenberg my favourite director. he's a surprisingly funny guy too (maybe not so surprising after cosmopolis), been listening to some of his Q&As recently and he always has the audience laughing.

I delved into s4 of Slasher recently, purely because Cronenberg had a major acting role. I recommend everyone avoid it like the plague.

cannes lineup is fairly intriguing. along with the new cronenberg, there's new films in competition by kelly reichardt, denis, desplechin, the dardennes, kore-eda, james gray, mungiu, ostlund, park chan-wook and skolimowski. there's also a new george miller (fantasy genie thing with tilda and elba lol), luhrmann (elvis biopic), ethan coen (jerry lee lewis biopic) and hazanavicius (french remake of one cut of the dead, randomly) screening out of comp. and, um, the directorial debut of the main actor from squid game for some reason.

I watched The Northman last night. I made the mistake of reading too many reviews beforehand, plus the trailer in terms of the film's structure is quite misleading in my opinion. Overall though, Robert Eggers has produced another great film. Alexander Skarsgård put in an absolute beast of a performance. He has properly bulked out for this role. Nicole Kidman also stood out for me. She gets pretty feral in the role. The atmosphere of the film is pure macho insanity with some sombre and calm moments but only just. Ethan Hawke, Bjork, Willem Dafoe and Ingvar Eggert Sigurðsson put in great cameos. This is certainly not a masterpiece like some people are saying but I think Eggers is a very consistent director and all his work makes me excited for his Nosferatu and Rasputin projects. tumblr_41ecf91724d98fe53a2a2bee36524a2e_497a2706_540.jpg