The Official Movie Thread

fwf.jpg
everything everywhere all at once is currently 75th all time on RYM lol
Fucking terrible movie, I couldn't finish it.
Terrible Take Tuesday in full effect.
Oh what a surprise, CiG being a contrarian.

74d186cde76a31aa5f2bec84f872a6037c973b44.gifv

Fucking terrible movie, I couldn't finish it. An odd one for RYM as I can't see the hipster factor at all, it's basically a popcorn blockbuster and to the extent there is a scifi premise, it's basically Avengers Endgame depth.

awww. Well, I think this is inaccurate (the Endgame comparison, that is). It struck me as one of the most heartfelt and endearing cinematic narratives I've seen in quite some time. I think it's unfair to reduce it to its bigscreen blockbuster action plot when that feels, to me, to be the thinnest part of the film. Its richness comes from the multitude of intertextual references, dialogue that oscillates between absurdity and deep sincerity, and a narrative the speaks to the excessive demands on human attention in the twenty-first century. It's a film about living in a time when so many responsibilities and burdens are placed on generations that won't have the opportunities their parents did--and immigrant families that are forced to deal with the repercussions of institutions that favor wealthy white people.

I guess I saw it less as an action film than an allegory for the world being too much to bear, which is an experience to which I'm very sympathetic.

Reactions: CiG
awww. Well, I think this is inaccurate (the Endgame comparison, that is). It struck me as one of the most heartfelt and endearing cinematic narratives I've seen in quite some time. I think it's unfair to reduce it to its bigscreen blockbuster action plot when that feels, to me, to be the thinnest part of the film. Its richness comes from the multitude of intertextual references, dialogue that oscillates between absurdity and deep sincerity, and a narrative the speaks to the excessive demands on human attention in the twenty-first century. It's a film about living in a time when so many responsibilities and burdens are placed on generations that won't have the opportunities their parents did--and immigrant families that are forced to deal with the repercussions of institutions that favor wealthy white people.

I guess I saw it less as an action film than an allegory for the world being too much to bear, which is an experience to which I'm very sympathetic.

I didn't even get halfway through so you may well be right, I don't know. I'm not in the habit of not giving movies a chance but it had so many aspects I find triggering I don't really regret not continuing even if it develops well in the second half. One of my major bugbears of a lot of recent Hollywood stuff is this ADHD style, where if it's not an action scene, it's relentless expository dialogue being crammed in and this movie felt like a particularly headache inducing example of that. It might be integral to what this movie's about to do it that way but it's definitely not for me. Then after a bunch of Matrix cliches I got to the point of hot-dog fingers and thought 'this is fucking enough'.

Reactions: Einherjar86
I have just watched Alex Garland's new film "Men". A very powerful, exploratory film that includes yet again a phenomenal central performance from Jessie Buckley and also a uniquely chilling performance from Rory Kinnear. Coupled with some beautiful photography, eerie music and cool effects, Garland has done well with this one in my opinion.

Oh shit! I did not know that Garland had also written the screenplay for the most recent Judge Dredd film. Fucking legend!

Last edited:
Reactions: Einherjar86 and CiG
Fans of Promising Young Woman have something to look forward to:

Amazon Set to Buy Emerald Fennell’s ‘Saltburn’ with Jacob Elordi and Rosamund Pike.
Fennell won the Best Original Screenplay Academy Award for “Promising Young Woman” and reunites with LuckyChap Entertainment producer Margot Robbie for the upcoming family drama “Saltburn.” While the film’s plot has been kept under wraps, the official description hints that it’s a “story of obsession” involving an aristocratic English family.

(Also in the article they drop some news that Lynne Ramsay's next film will be called Stone Mattress, with Julianne Moore and Sandra Oh.)

Just got back from Everything Everywhere All at Once. It was basically Rick & Morty sci-fi pastiche + Rick & Morty lolrandom humor + Rick & Morty existentialism. I'm less accusing it of being derivative and more describing it as succinctly as I can. It was quite inventive and a lot of the absurd humor really landed although in a way where I felt like I just lost some braincells everytime I laughed. But I thought the supposed "emotional core" of the film just felt like a giant platitude and it left me in a foul mood when the credits rolled.

I think this quote from Josh Lewis is spot-on:

i didn't have to read an interview to know these guys learned their trade from youtube and think pixar is the height of emotional storytelling.

fwiw I think Einherjar's take is spot on and you're *supposed* to reach a point of saturation with the relentless maximalism and it is addressed within the text. I don't think I liked it, though.

Can't wait for this!
i'm basically imagining it being a 2020s scott pilgrim vs. the world and i can't decide exactly how i feel about that idea. but probably not good lol

It's like going clubbing on a Friday night. Starts off slow and then the drinks start to kick in, you loosen up and maybe someone offers you some ecstasy, of course you accept and then you dance like a happy retard all night and have fun, a huge fight starts in the club and spills onto the sidewalk, you watch in confused amusement and horror as someone's girlfriend attacks a bouncer with her shoe and gets knocked out. You all decide to leave and at some point you puke against some poor cunt's car, then you somehow end up at McDonald's in the early morning and have some hotcakes. You look up and realise you love your friends and you're happy, then you all walk back to someone's place and crash. You wake up feeling like dogshit but the more time that passes the more you look back on the experience with warm feelings.

Haven't been watching movies much lately. Saw these in the last couple weeks:

ef.jpg

Shiva Baby (2020) Saw this around but never bothered, then randomly James Bickert (director of Dear God No, Frankenstein Created Bikers etc) praised it on Facebook and got me interested. It was okay, a culturally Jewish-American social comedy that takes place at a shiva (like a wake but lasts 7 days) and deals with extremely awkward and cringe-inducing social dynamics. Nothing mindblowing.

I disagree with your review @challenge_everything but I lol'd when I saw it.

sgsdgsdg.jpg

fwefwfe.jpg

Faults (2014) Riley Stearns just Riley Stearnsing. Leland Orser is like the embodiment of all the filmmaker's ideas infused into a single Woody Allen-esque weirdo. Cool twist. My least favourite of his 3 films but I'm locked in as a fan.

wefwef.jpg

White Elephant (2022) This might have the most non-existent plot I've ever seen, and not in a good way. Also Bruce's performance is sad to see. He's not emoting correctly, all his scenes have the same tone, his disability is very evident now.

Also the editing is a bit weird, some of the splatter is poorly CGI'd even though a lot of other scenes seem to be practical. There are some cool action scenes though, and Olga and especially Rooker were awesome. Primarily Rooker held the whole thing together. Hilariously sudden ending. I'm guessing there were some issues behind-the-scenes making this movie.

Jesse V. Johnson is steadily going downhill at this rate. Hopefully next time he spends less of his budget on the casting and more of it on the fucking film itself.