The Official Movie Thread

I'm working my way through David Cronenberg's feature length filmography. Consumed Scanners today. First watched that on VHS as a teen. It had an indelible effect on me when I first watched it as an example of extreme cinema. So far I would say, The Brood is the best of what I've see so far.

tumblr_84a713528b52cc9d4b7da56e37a3031b_bea3507e_540.gif

And then i checked out some old russian movie that was recently restored called ilya muromets (aka the sword and the dragon)

121677_1_large.jpg

Was pretty good too. Some amazing visuals

Same company that restored Ilya muromets now restored some old Finnish/Soviet film called Sampo from the same director. Since i liked Ilya muromets i ordered this one too.....

Samposlipfrontpre_2400x_3d3b4223-c752-4d18-aafb-9db8741fac77_1512x.jpg

I6z8V4T.jpeg

from what i've seen he is a talented enough stylist/homage artist but doesn't have a vision of his own, so maybe that makes him well suited to remakes?

So many classics! The Gambler, The Rain People, Alien Nation, The Killer Elite, Flesh and Bone, A Bridge Too Far...

Apparently he directed a movie in the 80's, only heard bad things about it though.

Another 'folk horror' disappointing me recently. Actually despite the marketing, it's not really horror at all, more like Guillermo del Toro magic realism mixed with Bela Tarr slow peasant cinema. It's as odd as it sounds. Beautifully shot like all A24 movies but ultimately flimsy, with an ending that's completely incongruous.

I recently saw this. Man I fucking hated Noomi's character. Bit of a what the fuck movie.