The Official Movie Thread

The Gray Man was pretty bad. It was extremely hard to suspend disbelief even for a movie of that genre. (bad guy black ops assassins killing LOADS of police in broad daylight??) traveling around the world with no real time lapse like they’re straight up fast traveling. And no one in the black ops organization is sneaky. They’re all bulldozers causing guns blazing havoc in public places.

Evans character made no sense. Tbh the movie may have worked better if he and Gosling switched roles.

It reminded me of a rushed sloppy John Wick knock off. And John Wick isn’t the pinnacle of cinema or anything but so far they’ve all been pretty fucking fun.

Reactions: MasterpieceMesias
For me The Gray Man just failed miserably at the action. The stuff Krow brought up are all non-issues for me. Just give me a fucking action flick where the fights have impact and the striking looks like it hurts anymore.

Compare it to any Hong Kong classic and the problem becomes immediately obvious. Once again Asia pisses on the west.

Reactions: MasterpieceMesias
The Gray Man was pretty bad. It was extremely hard to suspend disbelief even for a movie of that genre. (bad guy black ops assassins killing LOADS of police in broad daylight??) traveling around the world with no real time lapse like they’re straight up fast traveling. And no one in the black ops organization is sneaky. They’re all bulldozers causing guns blazing havoc in public places.

I had this problem with the movie too. But I also agree with CiG that the action choreography looked really tacky.

Reactions: CiG
I watched that new Gina Carano / Cowboy Cerrone western last night, Terror on the Prairie.

images.jpeg

It was funded by The Daily Wire and executive produced by Ben Shapiro, and it was actually fucking good! I really enjoyed it. Cowboy Cerrone was pleasantly surprising too, at first I didn't even realise it was him.

The cinematography is top notch, the location was beautiful and pretty bleak, it seemed like they used mostly natural lighting, it was shockingly violent (people get scalped, stabbed to death, lots of shootouts, blood galore etc), little to no CGI, and it wasn't some political dog-whistle project or a preachy piece of propaganda.

In fact I'd say it's firmly in the tradition of violent revisionist westerns like Unforgiven, and is almost as brutal as something like Bone Tomahawk at times.

Can't believe something funded and produced by fucking Ben Shapiro will probably make my end of year list.

I watched that new Gina Carano / Cowboy Cerrone western last night, Terror on the Prairie.

View attachment 31591

It was funded by The Daily Wire and executive produced by Ben Shapiro, and it was actually fucking good! I really enjoyed it. Cowboy Cerrone was pleasantly surprising too, at first I didn't even realise it was him.

The cinematography is top notch, the location was beautiful and pretty bleak, it seemed like they used mostly natural lighting, it was shockingly violent (people get scalped, stabbed to death, lots of shootouts, blood galore etc), little to no CGI, and it wasn't some political dog-whistle project or a preachy piece of propaganda.

In fact I'd say it's firmly in the tradition of violent revisionist westerns like Unforgiven, and is almost as brutal as something like Bone Tomahawk at times.

Can't believe something funded and produced by fucking Ben Shapiro will probably make my end of year list.

Some trivia according to IMDb:

''Former President Donald J Trump visited the set and lead the entire cast and crew in prayer.''

''A large animatronic Satan creature was going to be used in a dream sequence at the start of the film. Producers decided it was too costly an endeavor and scrapped the idea before production began.''

View attachment 31591

Sounds/looks good. Will check it out

I'm going to be watching Prey tomorrow on Disney +. Lets hope they don't fuck it up. Plus, is anyone planning on seeing Jordan Peele's new film Nope? I'm a sucker for anything UFO or Alien related.

View attachment 31591

This was a pleasant surprise for me too! Very happy they didn't CGI the shit out of it and the shootouts were realistic. Never thought Shapiro would have his name on anything remotely good lol.

Just finished up Prey. It had great potential and pulls through, if not sluggishly in the final 40 minutes with some cool action scenes, but is brought down by the over reliance on CGI. I get that they now have use it for the animals but they could have incorporated for the action scenes some sweet practical effects with some CGI if they had bothered.

Just finished up Prey. It had great potential and pulls through, if not sluggishly in the final 40 minutes with some cool action scenes, but is brought down by the over reliance on CGI. I get that they now have use it for the animals but they could have incorporated for the action scenes some sweet practical effects with some CGI if they had bothered.

Just finished watching it myself....i thought it was ok. Same way Predators was ok. A lot worse ways to waste an hour and a half.

Went with english, don't really see the point to watch it in comanche....it was filmed in English. The comanche was an afterthought, dubbed afterwards.

Last edited:
Nah Comanche was the original plan until the studio faggots got involved. The original screenplay was written as a Comanche language film. The dubbing was an attempt to salvage the original plan by the cast.

Native Americans in 1719 speaking in perfect English is about as shit as it gets for me so I had to pass on that trash, even if a dub is imperfect.

I rewatched it today because I can't decide if I like it more than dislike it. For one it relies way too heavily on CGI and ends up looking like a pretty soulless video game cut scene, and it doesn't help that the way it's filmed feels like it was done by someone who usually makes big budget advertisements. It's about as conventional as it gets. Even the violence which on paper would sound brutal has little to no impact on the screen.

The attempts to milk nostalgia felt out of place too ("if it bleeds we can kill it," "come on come on, do it" etc) and the one thing I still don't understand is why didn't the Yautja register Naru as a threat worth killing until the final battle? It seems to be implying that the Yautja doesn't register women as threats, even though many times throughout she is holding weapons, shouting threats at it etc. Maybe I missed something...

Also Naru seems to exist outside the laws of gravity so many times in the movie. Other warriors are picked up and thrown by the Yautja, yet everytime Naru falls she lands lightly, or manages to break her fall by rolling, or when she jumps off things and rebounds off objects (like a video game), quickly sliding under things and so on. Maybe shit like that only bothers me but this is a survival horror and the protagonist moves about like Link from the Zelda games. Her environment presents no danger to her whatsoever.

Predators (the third movie) shits all over this new one imo.

Some things I liked are the cast, they were good. No real issues there. The locations are nice to look at. The soundtrack is at times cool (like when using more tribal sounds). The way they created Yautja technology that is 260-odd years behind where they're at in the original film was clever.

Ultimately it reminds me of Star Wars: The Force Awakens in that it's more or less a nostalgia-fuelled remake of the franchise's first film, with a female lead who stumbles here or there but seems gifted beyond all reason and surrounded by doubters and clowns, and one sycophant who always takes her side (Finn / Taabe). But neither film really understands its original.

Edit: also tying two hatchets together so you can pull them back after throwing them is a good way to chop your own hands off. Fucking stupid. :rofl:

Last edited: