The Official Movie Thread

I don't like watching bootlegged movies. It takes away some of the... mystique, I guess. Any movie I really want to just experience, I'll wait for... so I can grab a nice bag of popcorn, sit back, and not worry about my computer fudging up or anything.

I watched the 13th warrior, starring Antonio Banderas. apparently a movie about an Arab adventuring with Vikings and battling "the Eaters of the Dead". not so bad. I like viking movies, overall.

What are some good viking movies? And you better not say pathfinder.

The 13th warrior fucking SLAYS no joke that's a truly underrated movie. It's on Sci-fi once and awhile.

I just bought like 11 movies,w atched No Country for Old Men and Lucky # Slevin yesterday, Slevin is truly underrated imo great plot.

What are some good viking movies? And you better not say pathfinder.

There's a Danish movie being made right now called Valhalla Rising, I think. If I'm correct, I believe it's about either Eric the Red or Leif Ericsson. I might be wrong, don't quote me on it; but it's definitely about Vikings.

And there's another one coming out but it's a sci-fi film. Supposedly it's a rendition of Beowulf. A man from space crash lands on earth during the Viking Era and brings with him some monster. Using his spaced out technology and the Viking style of warfare, they have to battle the beast. Sounds pretty cheesy, but hell; I'll see it. I think it's called Outlander.

I just bought like 11 movies,w atched No Country for Old Men and Lucky # Slevin yesterday, Slevin is truly underrated imo great plot.

I've heard really good things about Lucky Number Slevin. I need to rent that film.

Had one of my minions go to Blockbuster early this morning to pick up There Will Be Blood. I'll watch it later.

There seems to be a bunch of film students with a hard on for the cinematography in the third Bourne movie. I'm too lazy and too uninterested to see it though.
I didn't particularly love the camerawork, but it was fine...
I watched the 13th warrior, starring Antonio Banderas. apparently a movie about an Arab adventuring with Vikings and battling "the Eaters of the Dead". not so bad. I like viking movies, overall.
The book (by Michael Crichton) was good, so I may see that.

As for viking movies, Eric The Viking ftw

Michael Crichton's a great author. "The Andromeda Strain" was really cool, and the movie of it didn't stray from the author's vision.

Michael Crichton's a great author. "The Andromeda Strain" was really cool, and the movie of it didn't stray from the author's vision.

He used to be my favorite. Sphere was my favorite book by him; infinitely better than the film. Such an amazing idea and storyline.

Andromeda Strain was great too, as were Eaters of the Dead (13th Warrior), The Great Train Robbery, Jurassic Park (obviously), Terminal Msn, and so many more.

Somebody help explain There Will be Blood.
I haven't made the connection as to why he went crazy...
Tell me why I should love this movie.
I'm willing to talk about this... I hated No Country when I first saw, but after talking about it, I loved it... Please help me enjoy this movie.

I'm lookin' at you, Cookie.

I'm willing to talk about this... I hated No Country when I first saw, but after talking about it, I loved it... Please help me enjoy this movie.

Um, his son went permanently deaf, he's in rabid competition with other oil tycoons, he's got some religious looney giving him hell, he's got a guy who visited and lied about his relation to him, his son left the family business....

He was always crazy but he gets more so later in life because the greed and solitude overwhelms him. He lives in a giant mansion but he is close to no-one and his existence is completely empty.

I don't necessarily think you should love this movie, it's definitely not for everyone.

Um, his son went permanently deaf, he's in rabid competition with other oil tycoons, he's got some religious looney giving him hell, he's got a guy who visited and lied about his relation to him, his son left the family business....

Well... Idk... I got this, but I figured there would be more to it. With it being so black and white like that, I don't understand why it was considered a "great" movie. I mean, he went crazy, he kills the religious guy... is that it? Am I missing something important?

what makes the movie great isn't necessarily the plotline, it's how Daniel Day Lewis delivers as an actor. it's his performance (and the soundtrack and cinematography) that make the movie amazing

Well... Idk... I got this, but I figured there would be more to it. With it being so black and white like that, I don't understand why it was considered a "great" movie. I mean, he went crazy, he kills the religious guy... is that it? Am I missing something important?

For me it was the slow buildup to chaos, the great, well developed characters, and the great use of foreshadowing.

For Example

*Minor Spoilers*

When Plainview meets his false half brother, Henry, we see almost immediately how Henry replaces his son as his partner, and we see the son hates Henry almost right off the bat, just by the way he looks at him. So what does a deaf son do when his father has replaced him? He starts a fire. It's exactly what I could see someone in his position doing, as it's his only real way of getting attention.

The story is filled with numerous small details like that, that make it awesome and completely believable at the same time.

Also, the music was kickass.