The Official Movie Thread

Haha, :lol: It's probably because it doesn't cater to any common and modern sense of viability in film. It has long scenes with no dialogue, a very strange musical score, uneven plot lines, sometimes hardly ANY plot line, an ending half-hour that would have made Syd Barrett shit his pants, and a final shot that seems to make no sense.

However, the film is highly intellectual. It's about the creation of the human race, what forces were behind it (the monolith doesn't necessarily mean "aliens;" it could mean whatever you want it to), the path evolution takes, the reason for our existence, etc.

I don't think there are any definite answers embedded in the film, or in the book for that matter. Arthur C. Clarke has stated of his novel that "If you understood what I meant by writing 2001, then I failed." Or something along those lines.

It was a work of art, and as such it was interesting. But, it bored the shit out of me, and I like movies that both entertain me and make me think.

EDIT: Or brainless gore, as long as it's really, really, really gory.

Michael Crichton's a great author. "The Andromeda Strain" was really cool, and the movie of it didn't stray from the author's vision.

I've read a bunch of his stuff, and I like it. I think "The Terminal Man" might be his best. Haven't seen any of the movies of his books (including Jurassic Park!)

The film wasn't supposed to have a direct ending that resolved in the end, I'm pretty sure Kubrick and Clarke have both said this. There is no clear right or wrong ending, you can only make personal speculations.

The previous poster pretty much summed up what I was going to say about the movie (theme of evolution, the human race, commentary on technology, etc.) It's one of my favorites, for sure.

Watched Crazy Lips. If this was just a tad more deviant and had mors symbolism, this could have been a Takashi Miike film. This only reaffirms that the Japanese can be really fucked up.

Onibaba (Demon Woman). A classic from 1965. This was one pretty good. A lot better and faster paced than some of the epic classics.

After reading the last few posts I went and watched 2001 online (first time seeing the film).

What the fuck.

Most of the film made sense, except for all that trippy shit in the end. Amazing film nonetheless.

Watched Rendition with Jake Gillenhall and Reese Witherspoon. Great flick. Really makes you think about the U.S. Government. I bet this shit really happens.

After reading the last few posts I went and watched 2001 online (first time seeing the film).

What the fuck.

Most of the film made sense, except for all that trippy shit in the end. Amazing film nonetheless.

This is my mission for tomorrow... it seems like something I would like... even though the only taste of Kubrick I've had was that shitty Orange movie.

It's stupid. They go around in face paint raping and stealing... I watched like 45 minutes and couldn't go on without stabbing myself in the eyes... I chose my eye sight and my sanity over that piece of shit.

Full Metal Jacket and 2001 are nothing alike, are they? I've seen and loved FMJ.