The Official Movie Thread

Somebody help explain There Will be Blood.
I haven't made the connection as to why he went crazy...
Tell me why I should love this movie.
I'm willing to talk about this... I hated No Country when I first saw, but after talking about it, I loved it... Please help me enjoy this movie.

I'm lookin' at you, Cookie.

what makes the movie great isn't necessarily the plotline, it's how Daniel Day Lewis delivers as an actor. it's his performance (and the soundtrack and cinematography) that make the movie amazing
This

It was all good... but plot makes the movie imo. You could have great acting and cinematography in Ultraviolet, that doesn't make it a great movie.
If you didn't think the plot was at least adequate then you are missing something. You got to see the rise and fall of a powerful but flawed man and how it helps or hurts the people around him. This plot could go badly with bad actors, but the acting is so good that it is extremely engaging and emotional

Um, his son went permanently deaf, he's in rabid competition with other oil tycoons, he's got some religious looney giving him hell, he's got a guy who visited and lied about his relation to him, his son left the family business....

He doesn't even care about his son, I knew it on the first scene they showed together.

I dont believe that at all, I didn't see his character as loving etc, if it wasn't for his oil business he wouldn't have had that at all.

Watched 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Eh? I don't get it. That was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen in my entire life.

Watched 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Eh? I don't get it. That was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen in my entire life.

Haha, :lol: It's probably because it doesn't cater to any common and modern sense of viability in film. It has long scenes with no dialogue, a very strange musical score, uneven plot lines, sometimes hardly ANY plot line, an ending half-hour that would have made Syd Barrett shit his pants, and a final shot that seems to make no sense.

However, the film is highly intellectual. It's about the creation of the human race, what forces were behind it (the monolith doesn't necessarily mean "aliens;" it could mean whatever you want it to), the path evolution takes, the reason for our existence, etc.

I don't think there are any definite answers embedded in the film, or in the book for that matter. Arthur C. Clarke has stated of his novel that "If you understood what I meant by writing 2001, then I failed." Or something along those lines.