The Official Movie Thread

Seemed like it tried too hard to be a controversial, intellectual film, and ended up being just a tame emo film instead. At least, that was my impression. I did like the ending though; it was dark and really fucked up.

That's pretty much exactly what I thought. I thought my view might have stemmed from my personal distaste for movies of that nature, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

Just saw Kiss Me Deadly, great classic.

i'm lukewarm towards kiss me deadly, when it works it's so sexualised and fucked up it's almost proto-lynchian (especially that ending, holy fucking shit), the audience is as alienated as any noir protagonist has ever been. i love how elusive and enigmatic the film's *evils* are. what i'm not fond of is all the awkward gimmicky writing and overacting

i have elephant on dvd, haven't watched it yet, i suspect i won't like it although my favourite critics tend to bone it so you never know

I watched A CLockwork Orange again today. I hate it less now, probaly a 3 star movie to me. It starts off really well, but after he's captured I basically lose all interest. And the karma theme isn't all that special and I still think its incredibly overrated. Will give credit though as one of the first movies(I guess at least, only from what I hear) that they portray violence as a natural high

I still need to see that movie. The book is fucking great though, but it was confusing at times because there wasn't a dictionary in the back of the book

If you like the book, the movie might be a bit of a letdown. It was for me anyways.

I still need to see that movie. The book is fucking great though, but it was confusing at times because there wasn't a dictionary in the back of the book

Yeah, the original editions had no glossary. The author wanted his readers to interpret the meanings of the slang for themselves by using the context of the passage.

Most of the newer editions have a glossary.

Yeah, the original editions had no glossary. The author wanted his readers to interpret the meanings of the slang for themselves by using the context of the passage.

Most of the newer editions have a glossary.

What does he mean by 'original'? I bought this copy about 5 years ago and it doesn't have one, whereas my Dad had a copy with a glossary in it back in college.

Recently watched:

Velvet Goldmine - one of my all-time favourite films! :)

La Promesse - pretty good film that I had previously watched years ago, and couldn't remember what it was until recently.

Senki - very enjoyable, and certainly interesting.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - was a alright movie, not bad, but not particularly worthwhile.

What does he mean by 'original'? I bought this copy about 5 years ago and it doesn't have one, whereas my Dad had a copy with a glossary in it back in college.

I've read that older copies didn't have a glossary, so I don't know what edition your dad had. Maybe it was an edition specifically meant for students. They definitely printed versions with no glossary though. What is the year of the edition you bought?

saw Fatal Flying Guillotine today. Kind of lame that there doesn't seem to be a good release for this film. A solid above average martial arts film.