The Official Movie Thread

I finally saw Pan's Labyrinth yesterday, was the best movie I have seen in a long time, really amazing. Anybody have some suggestions of any similar movies? Not necessarily a fantasy type movie, but anything with the same dark, twisted atmosphere.

The Fountain was ... ugh. The concept was great. But the mood was unnecessarily and almost unbearably wrought with agony, when it should have been sympathy for the characters, who I ended up disliking, instead of sympathizing with. And it was TOO SLOW - even though it was only 90 minutes, it felt like a 3 hour film.

plus the fact that 98% of the film was done without CGI (even the shots of the dying star) made my appreciation of Darron Aronofsky increase that much more.

Newer movies I thought were really good.

Running Scared
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Life of Brian and And Now For Something Completely Different are my favorites (though the latter is just like a really long episode of Monty Python)

inyourface.jpg

Win!

Just watched Maniac, an early 80s slasher that's pretty gory but still manages to be pretty damn scary/suspensful.

Also watched Horror of the Zombies which was pretty boring for the most part.

I'm out of the loop as far as new movies are concerned but they're showing The Thing again today. My favorite sci-fi thriller alongside Aliens(2):kickass:

really? I thought it moved way too fast, and it would've been better if it was longer than 90 minutes

Maybe, then they could have expanded on the explanation more. The plot was a bit vague. But with 3 parallel storylines, I found it sort of predictable. I liked the special effects a lot.