The Official Movie Thread

Haven't seen anything by him. What are his best?

Also 300 was pretty much rubbish.

In terms of bizarre, "INLAND EMPIRE". Which is his newest film. Watch it and if you don't understand it I will be happy to give my take out it. It was shot on a cheap Digital Camcorder. It still has digital effects
but still retains that cheap camcorder look.

His most acclaimed work is Mulholland Drive. This film was shot on a high quality camera instead of a digital camera. The story also makes MORE sense but still has the Lynch story where you are a bit confused. I would start here then move to "INLAND EMPIRE".

In terms of bizarre, "INLAND EMPIRE". Which is his newest film. Watch it and if you don't understand it I will be happy to give my take out it. It was shot on a cheap Digital Camcorder. It still has digital effects
but still retains that cheap camcorder look.

His most acclaimed work is Mulholland Drive. This film was shot on a high quality camera instead of a digital camera. The story also makes MORE sense but still has the Lynch story where you are a bit confused. I would start here then move to "INLAND EMPIRE".

That's not his most acclaimed work, in fact, I've seen Mulholland Drive get the most flack out of any of his movies. His most acclaimed works are probably Eraserhead and The Elephant Man (both which are phenomenal films)...and maybe Blue Velvet

That's not his most acclaimed work, in fact, I've seen Mulholland Drive get the most flack out of any of his movies. His most acclaimed works are probably Eraserhead and The Elephant Man (both which are phenomenal films)...and maybe Blue Velvet

Mulholland Drive got the most acclaimed that I heard. Eraserhead is good but is nothing to what he makes now. I am glad to know other people are into film like me.

In order to really grasp Lost Highway, you have to understand the concept of psychogenic fugue. It's a concept Lynch stumbled across while making the movie or something. The key quote of the film is when Bill Pullman is being interviewed by the cops and he says, "I like to remember things my own way." er whatever was his defense against photography and videotaping. You can think of Blake's character as The Mystery Man as Satan or the tempting force of evil in the movie. Each time Pullman changes back and forth from Balthazar Getty is some weird conjuring in his head. It's all made up.

edit: I take back what I said earlier. Lynch's adaptation of Dune usually gets the most crap

^That is a very good movie Mathias.

Alter give us your take on Lost Highway, which I don't think understand and i've seen it twice.

I have not watched that movie in a long time. I do know that is my least favorite Lynch film. It does not have the same addicting feelings his other films have. It has been a long time since I have seen this movie. I am going to watch it tomorrow and I will give you my take on it in full detail.

In order to really grasp Lost Highway, you have to understand the concept of psychogenic fugue. It's a concept Lynch stumbled across while making the movie or something. The key quote of the film is when Bill Pullman is being interviewed by the cops and he says, "I like to remember things my own way." er whatever was his defense against photography and videotaping. You can think of Blake's character as The Mystery Man as Satan or the tempting force of evil in the movie. Each time Pullman changes back and forth from Balthazar Getty is some weird conjuring in his head. It's all made up.

edit: I take back what I said earlier. Lynch's adaptation of Dune usually gets the most crap

Its the same with INLAND EMPIRE. Its all in Nikki's head. See goes to deep into the film. Even though see is not even filming the movie yet.

Blue Velvet is probably my favorite Lynch film (but I haven't seen Inland Empire yet, so that could change). Dennis Hopper's character is just the most insane character ever. I love him.

"HEINEKEN?! Fuck that shit! PABST BLUE RIBBON!" :lol: classic

Blue Velvet is probably my favorite Lynch film (but I haven't seen Inland Empire yet, so that could change). Dennis Hopper's character is just the most insane character ever. I love him.

"HEINEKEN?! Fuck that shit! PABST BLUE RIBBON!" :lol: classic

"INLAND EMPIRE" is going to be kind of hard to watch but stick with it. I think you ca rent it at Blockbuster now.

I just watched the full ~4 hour version of Once Upon a Time in America. Awesome.

Great fucking movie... one of the all time great gangster movies but very very underrated. Robert Deniro was great in that movie. Did you know that the young Debra girl is Jennifer Connelly (A Beautiful Mind etc.) when she was a kid. I had a crush on her when I was a kid and saw her in that movie and throughout the years as she grew up.

Anyways some independent or foreign films that I like or have a indie feel are :

The Fountain (visually beautiful movie)
Saving Face
House of the Flying Daggers (visually beautiful as well)
Drugstore Cowboy
Trainspotting ( I have a thing about movies that have to do with heroin addiction)
Somewhere in Time
Rounders (not really indie etc. but i love it anyways because I'm a poker player on the side)
Malena
Brother (A russian movie)
Volver (Brilliant director)
The Motorcycle Diaries
Hero (visually beautiful)

Those are the only ones I can think offhand... but there are others i've seen as well... i'll think of more tomorrow.... some that I would like to see that I think i will like are:

Naked Lunch
The Road Home
Seven Samurai
Amelie

And countless others....