The Official Movie Thread

Don't get me started on Cronenberg... my favourite director of all time. I could go on for hours. His last two, Eastern Promises and A History of Violence are a marked change from his previous works. They're much more of a realist style but still retain that unpredictable anthing-could-happen rebelliousness of his older works, where it didn't really matter if the plot made sense. He would just take these crazy ideas and run with them until you were completely disoriented and disturbed, yet saying something profound about society in the process.

The Fly is a perfect example of this. Total B grade premise and yet who would have thought a man slowly degenerating into a fly would be deeply moving? Videodrome and Naked Lunch are also essential. The Brood is a really unnerving and underrated horror flick.

And yeah I agree that Dead Ringers is overall his most effective movie. And Jeremy Irons is outstanding.

Last weekend I watched a couple films. I saw The Return (the one directed by Andrei Zvyagintsev). I thought it was brilliant. Apparently this was the director's debut film; could've fooled me. And the kid actors in this film gave such an awesome performance. I highly recommend this one. I also watched Caché. I feel ambivalent about this one. I can't decide whether or not it's penetrating social criticism or pretentious leftarded pseudo-intellectualism masquerading as a (boring, plodding) thriller.

Also, Michael Haneke, the guy who directed the latter film also directed The Piano Teacher, another film I'm not sure how to feel about. If anything watch The Piano Teacher to see Isabelle Huppert brilliantly play the part of one the most fucked up characters in the history of cinema.

I saw Cache a few years ago and had mixed feelings about it. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and feeling it gave off. However, I'm not sure of Michael Haneke...he's been rather hit or miss with me

I saw Monsters Vs. Aliens last night. I enjoyed it. Seth Rogen is much funnier when he's not playing himself. Also, Hugh Laurie and Keifer Sutherland have some great characters. You can't even tell it's Keifer Sutherland when you hear his character

I went and bought A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, Fargo and American History X today. Didn't see Dead Ringers or woulda bought that too, pretty inspired by this convo to finally get those Cronenberg movies

Don't get me started on Cronenberg... my favourite director of all time. I could go on for hours. His last two, Eastern Promises and A History of Violence are a marked change from his previous works. They're much more of a realist style but still retain that unpredictable anthing-could-happen rebelliousness of his older works, where it didn't really matter if the plot made sense. He would just take these crazy ideas and run with them until you were completely disoriented and disturbed, yet saying something profound about society in the process.

The Fly is a perfect example of this. Total B grade premise and yet who would have thought a man slowly degenerating into a fly would be deeply moving? Videodrome and Naked Lunch are also essential. The Brood is a really unnerving and underrated horror flick.

And yeah I agree that Dead Ringers is overall his most effective movie. And Jeremy Irons is outstanding.

I thought The Brood was shit but that asides, yeah. Awesome guy. Videodrome is definitely in my top 10 most watched movies.

Speaking of superhero movies, I got around to The Dark Knight, and it barely met my modest expectations. I guess I expected it to deliver better action sequences, and not only suspense-type scenes. The setups for the action scenes had a ridiculous amount of holes. It was too long, but somehow felt rushed anyway, like at least another 30 minutes were cut. Gets a "worth watching" score from me.

Last weekend I watched a couple films. I saw The Return (the one directed by Andrei Zvyagintsev). I thought it was brilliant. Apparently this was the director's debut film; could've fooled me. And the kid actors in this film gave such an awesome performance. I highly recommend this one. I also watched Caché. I feel ambivalent about this one. I can't decide whether or not it's penetrating social criticism or pretentious leftarded pseudo-intellectualism masquerading as a (boring, plodding) thriller.

Also, Michael Haneke, the guy who directed the latter film also directed The Piano Teacher, another film I'm not sure how to feel about. If anything watch The Piano Teacher to see Isabelle Huppert brilliantly play the part of one the most fucked up characters in the history of cinema.

My reactions exactly about Caché. It really was a pile of wank. I haven't seen The Piano Teacher yet but I get the same ambivalence towards Funny Games. It played out like a really tense thriller for a while, but in the end Haneke tries too hard to shove his social commentary down our throats.

i really wanna see the return. i sort of like 'cache' but yeah, mostly ambivalent. i like it mostly for the ghosts of hitchcock and antonioni haunting it.

I went and bought A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, Fargo and American History X today.

yay, yay, yay and yuck

Again, I'm stunned The Dark Knight made so many supposed critics' top-ten lists, let alone get near the top of them. Was it such a bad year?

it was an extremely bad year, but TDK rules, my third favourite of the year i think. only thing that irritated me was the unsubtlety of the script, it's not as smart as it should've been - also i really don't like the whole WANNA KNOW HOW I GOT THESE SCARS WELL I HATE MY FATHER shit. otherwise it's fucking operatic man, the most desperate and uncomfortable mainstream tragedy to hit the screens in a long time. i don't think it was rushed at all, just full of momentum.

The thing I didn't like about The Dark Knight was that it was trading on all these clever moral dilemmas posed by the Joker and then went and threw all realism out the window with those ridiculous action scenes. I liked Batman Begins because it wasn't about gadgets and fast cars, but that motorbike/truck chase in TDK is just plain stupid.

Btw ncfow, I don't see the problem with the "wanna know how I got these scars" speeches, it was clearly delivered with sarcasm and designed to undermine the idea that if he's a psychopath he must have had a traumatic childhood.

yeah. i dunno, it still seemed a bit cheap somehow. i think it probably just boils down to my general problem with the script. can't help but feel like the whole thing's compromised somewhat by big budget expectations.

Again, I'm stunned The Dark Knight made so many supposed critics' top-ten lists, let alone get near the top of them. Was it such a bad year?

We get it, you were unimpressed by The Dark Knight.

Oh god, that's probably the worst superhero movies, next to spiderman

Fuck no. X-Men is by far one of the best of the genre. That trilogy was epic. I'm excited as hell for the Wolverine movie.

yay, yay, yay and yuck

American History X was a good film, despite its pretentious didacticism.