The Official Movie Thread

no I haven't, but I LOVE Ingmar Bergman, and I'm slowly working my way through all of his movies. He has quite a few, so it's gonna take a while. If you have a chance, see anything he's directed. it's all gold.

The majority of his filmography is horribly overrated imo, though Persona, Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal are still wonderful.

I don't know about "horribly overrated". I haven't seen any of his later films, but the ones you mentioned plus the trilogy on religion and Hour Of the Wolf are all really solid films.

I don't know about "horribly overrated". I haven't seen any of his later films, but the ones you mentioned plus the trilogy on religion and Hour Of the Wolf are all really solid films.

They're not bad films, not by a long shot and it's not any fault of Bergman's, but I often find critics and fans place at lot of his work up on a pedastal, when perhaps it's being viewed with something of a rose-tint.

The Mountain of the Cannibal God - 6.5/10

Pigfuck, one perfect word to describe the movie.

canibal27.JPG

I got around to watching Pi this week. Very solid. Maybe should have picked one ending instead of having a few endings in a row.

As much as I love this movie, Aranofsky really frustrated me with it. He makes things more dramatic than they need to be, Pi would have been fantastic with a nice understated climax, rather than the ridiculous gun chasey scenes that seem forced in there. Maybe that's just me though, I'm a sucker for understatement.

His incessant over-dramatisation is one of the reasons I was so disappointed by Requiem For A Dream as well.

As much as I love this movie, Aranofsky really frustrated me with it. He makes things more dramatic than they need to be, Pi would have been fantastic with a nice understated climax, rather than the ridiculous gun chasey scenes that seem forced in there. Maybe that's just me though, I'm a sucker for understatement.

His incessant over-dramatisation is one of the reasons I was so disappointed by Requiem For A Dream as well.
It was so great in terms of audio-visuals, that it didn't need a convoluted plot. Obviously, some elements required suspension of disbelief, as if the science in sci-fi films. One cop-out is that when you place dream sequences early on, you leave in the possibility that any scene later on is a figment of the main guy's imagination, especially when you suggest that he's losing his mind. It sort of makes it okay to run three straight ending sequences, or film whatever you think looks cool, and then say "he was going insane."

I liked what Aronofsky said during the commentary about how most b&w films just look like shades of gray the whole time, and he was going for the real contrast between black and white. It came out very well in that regard.

Eaten Alive: 1/10

How many cannibal movies did they steal footage from here? 4-5? I hated it, every scene show every 5 minutes was just stolen from another movie. And the acting was worse then ANY other cannibal film out there, the story was incredible bad and its was just the worst cannibal movie ever...

For low budget horror film buffs:

Is the movie Splinter any good? It came out last year. I'm not a huge horror fan, but I occasionally enjoy simplistic thrillers like this.

Just saw Grizzly Man. Holy shit what a crazy cool guy.

I wanna know people's opinions about two animated films I'm thinking about buying because i can't find them anywhere else, Persepolis and Vals im Bashir(Waltz with Bashir?). I've heard good things about both and I'm wondering if they're good enough to purchase.