The Official Movie Thread

It is for sure a love/hate kinda movie. I thinkthe reason it was good for me is that I am always totally creeped out by the whole haunting/spirit shit. I was once watching a special on the discovery channel or something on exorcisms and it freaked me out. I just try and think of how I would actually feel if any of that stuff in the movie actually happened to me and if it did I would probably have a stroke.

I'm Christian, therefore I believe that literal possession is possible. Still didn't freak me out. When it comes to horror, random freakouts scare me more than tense buildups.

Paranormal Activity

Yeah, pretty freaky. Pretty effective in creating dread and fear. I think some of the effectiveness was based on how genuinely normal the couple is.

Unfortunately my own personal discomfort was compounded by motion sickness from the stupid camera work. I guess I should have sat further back. Not that I was real close, but apparently too close for this one. About half way through I was keeping my eyes closed for most non-still camera work.

Watched "Fall of the Republic" made by Alex Jones. No real new information for me, but a very clear and to the point production covering the banker swindol of the economy over the last couple of decades, and last couple of years specifically, and also the promises that Obama made in campaigning and has gone back on, among other things.

I'm Christian, therefore I believe that literal possession is possible. Still didn't freak me out. When it comes to horror, random freakouts scare me more than tense buildups.

But random freak outs are not real fear, they are just you being startled. I think that is were all these modern horror movies fail. They focus to much on startling the audience with a big noise or something instead of genuinely instilling fear or discomfort.

Also, funny story about me watching the exorcism special. While I was watching it, both my comps must have been in sleep mode or something, but as they were talking about demonic presences in homes and whatnot both the computers booted up at the same time while I was across the room. Scared the fucking shit out of me. I ran upstairs as fast as I could and finished the show up there.

But random freak outs are not real fear, they are just you being startled. I think that is were all these modern horror movies fail. They focus to much on startling the audience with a big noise or something instead of genuinely instilling fear or discomfort.

Totally agree. I think the startle factor, and how effective it is on so many people, is what led to a huge influx of non-scary horror movies with barely any content.

As a Christian, I would think that demonic oppression and possession would be among the more scary movie themes (as it is for me). Not because you fear for yourself, but in a movie you are experiencing what the characters are experiencing. The more you can believe and understand their fear, the more effective a movie is. I think The Exorcism of Emily Rose is a totally scary movie.

Jump out and boo! moments dont do much for me... I definitely need it to get in my head and actually bother me somehow for those moments to truly bother me. One of the few moments that really got me in that way was the The Grudge.

It honestly really bothered me for some reason... when I saw the ghosts appearing, the hair on my neck stood on end even when it wasnt a jumpy moment..

You guys need to watch Pulse (the Japanese original, aka Kairo) and see the part where the shadow girl comes out from under the stairs... Now that is the stuff nightmares are made of.

I just saw Dogville for the first time and I thought it was quite fantastic. One of the most unpleasant movies I've seen and probably an all-time favourite. No country, your taste in movies is terrific and your RYM profile is gold :kickass:

I still haven't watched that one, have to do it soon as my expectations are high. I'm always sceptic whenever people talk about movies as "bla bla bla of all time", though.