The Official Movie Thread

just went and saw Shutter Island. While I knew what was going to happen the first time I saw a trailer for it, I was interested in how Scorsese would play it out. Even though the story was a bit played out, I give Scorsese credit for experimenting with form and some of the shots and camera work were really well done. The editing could've been better though.

and yeah. that ending was a bit heavy handed, but it wasn't too bad, imo

I watched City Hall over the weekend (political drama starring Al Pacino as the Mayor of New York City). I actually found it rather educational in terms of showing how corruption propagates through the system and why different politicians succumb to it, even those who begin their careers with noble aims. It made me wonder if there are more subtle solutions to the problem of corruption that I hadn't considered before.

Watched Shutter Island. I like how it tried to frame suggestions of US Government sheltering of former Third Reich psychological experimenters and CIA/other mind control experimentation (MK/Ultra etc) as being part of insane hallucinations and delusions.

Clearly a propaganda piece.

DO NOT PAY TO WATCH SHUTTER ISLAND! Just a fair warning. It has a very predictable plot and is riddled with inconsistent shots. A scale of 10 I would give it a 5.

I was looking forward to seeing it but decided not to, after hearing it was pretty shitty. dicaprio is so hit-or-miss. mind blowingly gay-or-badass pretty much

Made the mistake of watching Deadgirl this evening.

a 100 minute movie about guys in an abandoned hospital fucking a zombie.

That's pretty much it... I'm serious.

Dead Snow - Pretty cool Nazi zombie flick. I know I'm late but I was waiting for the Blu-ray release.

Saw VI - Liked this one better than the last few but they have to be close to hanging this series up.

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs - As far as these types of movies go, this one was pretty good.

Watched the new(er) Rambo the other night. Possibly the worst modern action movie ever.

God, thank you.

The first Rambo was a fantastic movie that nobody's ever actually seen, likely because it has less bloodletting and more actual suspense. Everything after it is Reaganite jingoistic machismo trash.

The Rocky update was actually really good. The Rambo update--well, I reviewed it, check there for thoughts

Re: "Cloudy...", no interest, really. Poke me when Toy Story 3 comes out; Pixar is infallible.