The Official Movie Thread

I've been checking out little art theatres along my travels this summer and i've recently seen I Am Love(italian) with tilda swinton, it was pretty good. I also saw Micmacs(french)a couple days ago, the latest from jean-pierre jeunet. it was fucking awesome of course, and last night i saw get him to the greek which was pretty funny...gonna see inception tonight, although it'll be at this little theatre in oberlin ohio so it won't be on a big megaplex like i'd want to see it on but whatever im stoked

Just saw a screener copy of A Serbian Film. I couldn't wait for the DVD, been looking forward to it ever since I saw the trailer.

It started out alright, but turned out pretentious as fuck, impossible to take seriously, tedious, other negative adjectives. And when your industrial soundtrack is cheesier than anything Rhapsody of Fire ever did, you know you have issues.

On the plus side, it was just as exploitative, gory, bleak and depraved as I had hoped it would be. I fucking love that stuff.

In conclusion, a horrible, horrible movie that I nevertheless enjoyed. It's so damn hard to find decent exploitation. (I am taking recs) Probably one of the most perverse movies I've ever seen, though devoid of the finesse to make it truly effective.

Edit: Also, it always amuses me when people speak Swedish in non-Swedish movies. Especially when they do it with horrible accents.

Alright, while I might get slammed for this, somebody has to say it.

Chris Nolan is probably the most overrated director of our modern time.

Inception was mostly spectacle and overwroughtness for its own sake to be perceived as high art. The CGI was laughable in many places as were many of the actors. Sorry folks, DiCaprio just isn't a leading man. He just isn't. And this work really failed to convince me. Tom Hardy and Ellen Page were the best things about it. But again, not nearly enough character delving/development. It was also quite predictable in places despite its blatant convolutedness.

As it stands:

Memento: massively overrated and I would gladly take Irreversible over this any day for chaotic/inverted chronology.
Batman Begins: Perhaps the only film of his I have seen that has even remotely measured up.
The Dark Knight: Overrated as hell save Heath Ledger's performance.
The Prestige: I saw the twist coming a mile away.
Insomnia: Remake. Doesn't count.
Inception: Great score and some good ideas tossed around but largely lackluster.

The Matrix was pretentious poppycock and so is this(though to a lesser extent).

Memento: massively overrated and I would gladly take Irreversible over this any day for chaotic/inverted chronology.

Memento was immensely better than Irreversible. The latter relied too much on shock value and the intrigue of going backwards. Nolan's film actually added some more interesting and important elements, such as the amnesia of the main character. It dealt much more with the psychological aspects of the disease. All in all, just a much better film.

Memento was immensely better than Irreversible. The latter relied too much on shock value and the intrigue of going backwards. Nolan's film actually added some more interesting and important elements, such as the amnesia of the main character. It dealt much more with the psychological aspects of the disease. All in all, just a much better film.

Well it's really apples and baseballs between those two films. I just found myself not really caring anymore about Pierce's character. I found Irreversible much more intriguing. That bottom-dweller gay bar is probably the best depiction of a real hell that I have seen. I'll give you this though; it isn't very high up on my rewatch list.

I knew I'd get some knee-jerk and puerile reactions to my Inception review. I rated it a 78/100. Hardly terrible. Just overrated.

Other films I have seen recently that I have rated:

The Ninth Configuration: 76/100. Kind of out of place in its brilliant monologues of a cuckoo asylum in a castle. The barroom scene is the main real highlight though. Horrible last 30 seconds.

Brazil: 78/100. Crazy amazing set design and special effects; but the story is fairly flat. Though Kim Griest never captivated my attention before until this.

Football Factory: 90/100. Just plain fun. Good times. A couple of hilarious characters and a pretty good soundtrack to boot.

The Reflecting Skin: 68/100. Beautiful cinematography and a good score. Viggo did what he could with the part. But that's really it folks. This is classified as suspense/horror; but there really isn't any.

Look: 93/100. Utterly fantastic docudrama by Adam Rifkin about all the surveillance cameras we have in our face every day. Shows us that although we are all so exposed, the technology may not help to solve as many problems as we may think. Compelling stuff.

100-point rating scales are stupid. /opinion

Memento was okay. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't watch it twice. I can pretty much summarize my opinion of it in three words:

It's backwards, so?

I think Nolan is great, the fact he writes his own shit too is awesome...but i have to say hans zimmer has always made me want to do film composing, which i'll major in if i get into the college i want too...and my dad's been in the business his whole life so i've always wanted to be in some aspect of it

Alright, while I might get slammed for this, somebody has to say it.

Chris Nolan is probably the most overrated director of our modern time.

Inception was mostly spectacle and overwroughtness for its own sake to be perceived as high art. The CGI was laughable in many places as were many of the actors. Sorry folks, DiCaprio just isn't a leading man. He just isn't. And this work really failed to convince me. Tom Hardy and Ellen Page were the best things about it. But again, not nearly enough character delving/development. It was also quite predictable in places despite its blatant convolutedness.

As it stands:

Batman Begins: Perhaps the only film of his I have seen that has even remotely measured up.
The Dark Knight: Overrated as hell save Heath Ledger's performance.
The Prestige: I saw the twist coming a mile away.
Insomnia: Remake. Doesn't count.
Inception: Great score and some good ideas tossed around but largely lackluster.

The Matrix was pretentious poppycock and so is this(though to a lesser extent).

Your luckly that you aren't on Joblo forums now. They love the guy over there.

the only christopher nolan film I haven't liked was Insomnia...I thought that was pretty weak. Every other film I've really enjoyed, with Inception and Following being my favorite (ironically his only two original works)