The Official Movie Thread

100-point rating scales are stupid. /opinion

Memento was okay. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't watch it twice. I can pretty much summarize my opinion of it in three words:

It's backwards, so?

what kind of feelings did you have towards the main character? I hate him yet understand it at the same time it's awesome

Inception was fuckin mind-blowing, i will see it again and will likely buy the blu-ray. Nolan is a friggin genius, to have such a multi-layered narrative but presenting it in a stylish and understandable fashion.

I try to get my hopes up for any movie lately but Predators let me down, god damnit. Maybe if Inception gets here i'll get at least one decent movie in the movie theater in a year.

I watched Terry Gilliam's Tideland last night. Before the movie starts, Gilliam gives a little public service announcement saying many people will not like his film and blah blah blah. After having watched it, I could understand why. It's about a little girl whose dad is heroin addict past rockstar played by Jeff Bridges, and her mom is a psycho played by Jennifer Tilly. Bridges and the little girl soon move to grandma's abandoned house on the prairie after Tilly dies.

She then roams the prairie and falls in love with a mentally challenged guy who looks close to 30. Oh and then there's the mentally challenged guy's sister who is a taxidermist (for fun?) who stuffs all sorts of things including people.

sounds like typical fair for a Gilliam movie. I thought it was good, nothing great. The little girl in the movie is great, but I could understand why some people would hate it

I haven't seen Valhalla Rising and I wasn't intending to either before I happened to read a bit about it. From the name and the pictures I had seen I assumed it was another shitty 300-type action movie, but apparently that isn't the case at all. They really should have chosen a more subtle name, so as to not attract all the action-morons out there.

mostly really like tideland don't like valhalla rising quite like inception rather like memento really like martyrs for an hour

i dunno if anyone was actually talking about criticker other than the guy who rated martyrs and mentioned PSI, but anyone who criticises that site for using a '100 point rating system' has no understanding of the site at all.

stuff i'm looking forward to seeing atm is toy story 3, dogtooth, bluebeard, prob a couple of others i've forgotten

really like martyrs for an hour

It seems that people either like the first half or the second half better. I'm one of the second half people.

*SPOILER ALERT* Namely becuase I felt that it was fairly obvious early on that "the monster" was all in Lucie's head. This to me is the film's only real flaw and I found the second half with the reveal of the cult far more intriguing and fascinating. *END SPOILER ALERT*

By the by, if anyone wants to discuss the ending to this truly remarkable film, I'm game.

It seems that people either like the first half or the second half better. I'm one of the second half people.

*SPOILER ALERT* Namely becuase I felt that it was fairly obvious early on that "the monster" was all in Lucie's head. This to me is the film's only real flaw and I found the second half with the reveal of the cult far more intriguing and fascinating. *END SPOILER ALERT*

SPOILER ETC
the second half to me is just a really didactic, trying-to-be-clever treatise on why the first half was so intense and compelling. the *plot* if you want to call it that is really contrived to serve this essay (which, i'll grant you, is fairly insightful about the genre if a little obvious), and all the tension dissipates as a result of said contrived-ness. i also found the ending to be quite awful, the kind of sly, juvenile trick you'd see in a saw movie or something. it may be that it was the only way of ending it, but that only highlights the deficiencies of the allegory as far as i'm concerned.