The Official Movie Thread

The Good, The Bad, The Weird - Chinese western. Pretty cool movie. Loved the big convergence scene with the Kill Bill clapping song. Even at over 2 hours, I thought it paid off and was worth my time.

Hot Tub Time Machine - Decent but kind of a blown opportunity. ALMOST felt like someone tried to cram every single popular 80's song into it. I just thought it could have been done smarter with all the 80's material.

Saw Aeon Flux (the movie) tonight. Fascinating subject matter, with a strong philosophical undertone. Pretty boring acting/characters though (even if it makes sense for them to appear 'empty' due to the context of the story, there should have been a far less boring chemistry between the two lead characters). Very imaginative and stimulating, but a little too dreary for its own good.

Anyone here seen this '80s "dark romance" called Body Heat? I found it on Netflix's instant play list tonight, and it was one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen.

Saw two Lynch films recently, Mulholland Drive and Seven.

Pat, at the risk of being an antagonistic prick (as usual), I want to ask: what is it you consider so great about Seven? I thought Mulholland Drive owned the shit out of it. Not that Seven was bad (it's good), but in the end it struck me as little more than entertaining, whereas Mulholland Drive was incredibly fascinating and even educational on an emotional level.

The Omega Man - Was okay. They did a great job of making the city look empty but the whole "family" thing was kinda dumb. Guess you have to have a bad guy...

Frozen - Over-hyped. It was decent but really didn't give you that feeling of dread it so wanted. More of "people behaving stupidly" to move the plot along.

Saw two Lynch films recently, Mulholland Drive and Seven.

Pat, at the risk of being an antagonistic prick (as usual), I want to ask: what is it you consider so great about Seven? I thought Mulholland Drive owned the shit out of it. Not that Seven was bad (it's good), but in the end it struck me as little more than entertaining, whereas Mulholland Drive was incredibly fascinating and even educational on an emotional level.

Seven is directed by David Fincher, not Lynch.

And what I find fascinating about Seven is the layers of storytelling. On one level (the surface), you have this hardboiled detective story about two guys trying to solve a series of murders. Go deeper, and you have these two utterly different epistemes vying against each other. The film works in several different ways; as a suspense story, as an ethical dilemma, as an inquiry on insanity (what constitutes insanity in contemporary culture?), as a literary criticism, as an exploration in urban decay, as a bildungsroman (of sorts), as a morality play... the list goes on.

Mainly, I find the literary references poignant and relevant, the acting is superb, the directing and cinematography is some of the most depressive and aggressive you'll ever find, and as far as editing goes, there are almost no mistakes (maybe none...).

Basically, thematically and aesthetically, it's damn near perfect.

Of course, all this is my opinion. :cool:

I'd recommend you watch it again. And maybe again after that. You'll notice things (subtle touches) that really enhance the story the more you watch it.

seven rules, anything's gonna suffer if you watch it back to back with mulholland drive though

could anyone give me a list of good movies they've seen from this year? i haven't been keeping track and i want to start catching up.