The Official Movie Thread

The cinema here sucks, so the only movies I've seen from this year are Inception, Kick Ass, Survival of the Dead and A Serbian Film. I don't even bother paying attention to new releases until the year after when I know it's all on DVD.

Inception, unexpectedly, bored me to tears. The cast was completely uninteresting and the action scenes were tedious as hell.

Liked Kick Ass.

Survival of the Dead was worse than Diary.

A Serbian Film was a pretentious piece of shit that I nevertheless enjoyed for all the gore and depravity.

I thought Seven was decent but that's about it.

As for Mulholland Dr., it's better than a lot of films out there but I still think it's disappointing compared to Lynch's other films.

Seven is directed by David Fincher, not Lynch.
my bad. :lol: I think you had mentioned both directors while I was in Chicago, and their names are so similar that it tricked my brain.

And what I find fascinating about Seven is the layers of storytelling. On one level (the surface), you have this hardboiled detective story about two guys trying to solve a series of murders. Go deeper, and you have these two utterly different epistemes vying against each other. The film works in several different ways; as a suspense story, as an ethical dilemma, as an inquiry on insanity (what constitutes insanity in contemporary culture?), as a literary criticism, as an exploration in urban culture, as a bildungsroman (of sorts), as a morality play... the list goes on.
Several of these aspects of the film are more common to detective stories than you make them out to be (i.e. suspense, ethical dilemma, exploration in urban culture, even inquiry on insanity somewhat).

Mainly, I find the literary references poignant and relevant, the acting is superb, the directing and cinematography is some of the most depressive and aggressive you'll ever find, and as far as editing goes, there are almost no mistakes (maybe none...).
No comment on most of these, but I will say that I've seen plenty of films with what I'd consider much more interesting characters. You call the film a 'bildungsroman of sorts', but neither of the main characters really seems to have evolved much from the beginning to the end. Det. Mills' whole fulfillment of Wrath actually pidgeonholes his character somewhat since the crux of his part in the story is basically that he cannot overcome his 'tragic flaw' of short-temperedness.

Last movie watched: "A Bronx Tale". Good under all points of view. Does anyone else like it?

Yes. Chazz Palminteri REALLY made that film; both literally and figuratively.

What would have made Se7en the ULTIMATE masterpiece is if they could have figured out some way to have Mills shoot Summerset as the fulfillment of Wrath. I still love it anyway.

my bad. :lol: I think you had mentioned both directors while I was in Chicago, and their names are so similar that it tricked my brain.

Yeah, probably.

Several of these aspects of the film are more common to detective stories than you make them out to be (i.e. suspense, ethical dilemma, exploration in urban culture, even inquiry on insanity somewhat).

I don't think other films combine them or deal with them as deftly as Seven does. And I edited that "urban culture" to urban decay, because that's really what Seven comments on. The philosophical implications in Seven are a driving aspect of the film.

Also, I want to point out that most "detective" stories, or other serial killer films, always turn into a "who dunnit?" What I mean by this is that some character in the film turns out to be the killer. What's so impressive about Seven is that the killer is no one we've seen before (in the film; obviously Spacey has graced most of our television sets). And the film handles this so maturely. There's no need for it to be a "who dunnit," and the prospect of it being "just a man" (as Somerset says) is far more terrifying.

No comment on most of these, but I will say that I've seen plenty of films with what I'd consider much more interesting characters. You call the film a 'bildungsroman of sorts', but neither of the main characters really seems to have evolved much from the beginning to the end. Det. Mills' whole fulfillment of Wrath actually pidgeonholes his character somewhat since the crux of his part in the story is basically that he cannot overcome his 'tragic flaw' of short-temperedness.

I think Somerset is the one who evolves throughout the film.

No one episteme (or personal system of knowledge/belief) is right or wrong in the film. Near the end, Somerset actually starts to gravitate towards Mills somewhat. When Mills says "I think you want to believe them because you're quitting" he exposes Somerset's hypocrisy, and this is a big setback for him.

Furthermore, the conclusion of the film sees Mills not proven wrong, but merely proven incompatible. I would argue his hamartia is not his short-temperedness, but his idealism; and how can we actually hold this against him? John Doe represents an anomaly that Mills cannot comprehend; that he's done these evil things, but he's "just a man." Mills believes that he has to be dealing with something "fucked up" and "evil." And if it's evil, then he has to be "good." Somerset doesn't believe this, and because of this is essentially giving up at the start of the film; however, by the end he quotes Hemingway: "'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part."

What this final quote means is that he's not quitting anymore. He's not giving up. Mills convinced him.

I don't think other films combine them or deal with them as deftly as Seven does. And I edited that "urban culture" to urban decay, because that's really what Seven comments on. The philosophical implications in Seven are a driving aspect of the film.

Also, I want to point out that most "detective" stories, or other serial killer films, always turn into a "who dunnit?" What I mean by this is that some character in the film turns out to be the killer. What's so impressive about Seven is that the killer is no one we've seen before (in the film; obviously Spacey has graced most of our television sets). And the film handles this so maturely. There's no need for it to be a "who dunnit," and the prospect of it being "just a man" (as Somerset says) is far more terrifying.
The film incorporates some interesting concepts definitely.

What do you think of Silence of the Lambs? As far as 'artsy' crime movies go, that one's easily my favorite. Not quite as literary as Seven, but the character development is incredible.

I think Somerset is the one who evolves throughout the film.

No one episteme (or personal system of knowledge/belief) is right or wrong in the film. Near the end, Somerset actually starts to gravitate towards Mills somewhat. When Mills says "I think you want to believe them because you're quitting" he exposes Somerset's hypocrisy, and this is a big setback for him.
Did Somerset experience a change of heart during the film? Sure. Did it make me think "wow, what a fascinating and many-layered psychology this detective has"? No. Of course it probably didn't help that the "seasoned cop/soldier/spy/etc. guy who's dead set on moving on gets slowly persuaded to stick his neck out one more time" scenario is very cliched in these sorts of films. I would not call that one of the highlights of Seven.

Furthermore, the conclusion of the film sees Mills not proven wrong, but merely proven incompatible. I would argue his hamartia is not his short-temperedness, but his idealism; and how can we actually hold this against him? John Doe represents an anomaly that Mills cannot comprehend; that he's done these evil things, but he's "just a man." Mills believes that he has to be dealing with something "fucked up" and "evil." And if it's evil, then he has to be "good."
Idealism? Your description of Mills seems more indicative of ignorance or bigotry to me. The only moment I recall where he could really be called 'idealistic' is when he tells Somerset at the bar that he would never give up the job for a life of peace and quiet, and even that to me seemed either insincere or out of character at the time given how blatantly immature and bullheaded the guy acts throughout the rest of the movie.

Kickass was amazing
I havent seen Seven in over 10 years. should watch that again. I remember nothing
Sucks to hear about Centurion
Inception was good. but not great. big let down.

you guys hear about the next Superman movie?
Zack Snyder is directing
Goyer and Jon Nolan are writing the script. and Christopher Nolan is overseeing all of it.
Im excited.
and! Zod is rumoured to be the bad guy.

Idealism? Your description of Mills seems more indicative of ignorance or bigotry to me. The only moment I recall where he could really be called 'idealistic' is when he tells Somerset at the bar that he would never give up the job for a life of peace and quiet, and even that to me seemed either insincere or out of character at the time given how blatantly immature and bullheaded the guy acts throughout the rest of the movie.

I would suggest that you go back, actually. There are plenty of instances that exhibit his idealism. "I thought that I could do some good;" when they're waiting for the fingerprint conclusion, he says "Don't worry; things will look up" or something along those lines; the bar scene is especially telling, and I don't think it's out of character at all; he sympathizes instensely for the victims, he believes that "every day life" is a wonderful, morally valuable ideal. He believes he's fighting for that. If he's immature, it's because he believes that. If he's bullheaded, it's because he's completely convinced of his beliefs.

Somerset is the William Butler Yeats of the film. He was once an idealist, but he knows the futility of it. He's giving up because he can't reconcile his optimism with what he witnesses around him. Somerset is very similar to John Doe in that he understands where the killer is coming from. He understands the philosophical implications of his "work." Mills doesn't, and can't. He only sees it as "evil."

"the final Saw" movie will be out this halloween... mabe the guy killed himself when he realized he made the same exact movie ten times.

I am kinda interested in Paranormal Activity 2. The first one was actually pretty good, but marred by that add on hollywood BOO ending, instead of the absolute hopelessness of the original. Oh and those people that ruin horror movies in theatre by not shutting the fuck up, they didnt help either.

The Killer Inside Me - Casey Affleck plays the fucked-in-the-head creep character well. he is very hate-able in this movie, i was hoping he would die. the story is twisted and engaging (based on a 50s novel). and the bare-ass spanking is nice.

I was pleasantly surprised with Let Me In. I haven't seen the original Swedish film, but my friends said basically the same thing (pretty true to the original). beats the shit out of that Twilight crap. Plus it had the girl from Kick Ass...she's going to be really messed up when she gets older