The Official Movie Thread

I'm looking to get more into horror movies. I've always had an interest in the genre but I've never really gone in depth with it.

Could anyone help me out with some good starter movies to help me get a little deeper into the genre. I'm open to all suggestions but I'm mainly looking to get into old-school, independent, exploitation and J-horror movies.

And since I can't really afford to spend loads on buying DVDs, could anyone recommend me some good sites that stream free, legal horror films. I don't think FEARnet works outside of the US but this looks promising:

http://www.asian-horror-movies.com/

Any help would be appreciated.

Watched Paranormal Activity 2 last night... The movie was good until, just like the first one, the ending of the movie ruined it.

It's like the fuckers cant figure out how to properly end these movies and what they come up with is cheesy and awful. (the original ending of the first movie was the best, imo)
They also tied the two movies together and gave the back story as to why this shit happened... but it was lame and seemed forced. I would have been happier not knowing

Spoiler:

The girl looks up on the internet with seemingly little effort, that the presence is a demon wanting the first born son of the family because their grandmother made a deal with the devil to get rich... blah blah.

also, in a movie that's meant to feel extremely real, and did for the most part, the two deaths at the end of the movie look absolutely retarded and, again, thrown in.

Watched The Ape last night, highly original and uncomfortable thriller, and slightly comedic too when the main character just walks around behaving irrationally and confused. I can see why people call it a 'love or hate'-thing. A cool thing about this movie is that the guy who plays the main character never knew more about the script than the scene he was currently acting (chronologically) in, so he didn't actually know anything more about what was going to happen than the viewer does while watching it.

I'm looking to get more into horror movies. I've always had an interest in the genre but I've never really gone in depth with it.

Could anyone help me out with some good starter movies to help me get a little deeper into the genre. I'm open to all suggestions but I'm mainly looking to get into old-school, independent, exploitation and J-horror movies.

And since I can't really afford to spend loads on buying DVDs, could anyone recommend me some good sites that stream free, legal horror films. I don't think FEARnet works outside of the US but this looks promising:

see every movie in the 70s and 80s of Lucio Fulci and Dario Argento, and 80's Craven and 80's Carpenter is a pretty solid start...some would recommend Bava from italia but haven't caught too much into his stuff so can't recommend

Yeah, you can't really go wrong with any of the Argento films. For exploitation, I'd say you should check out the original Last House On The Left, not the shitty remake.
For just good ol' indie horror fun, watch Re-Animator.
David Cronenberg's The Brood has always been a personal favorite.

Start with those three.

see every movie in the 70s and 80s of Lucio Fulci and Dario Argento, and 80's Craven and 80's Carpenter is a pretty solid start...some would recommend Bava from italia but haven't caught too much into his stuff so can't recommend

Watch Dario Argento's 'giallo'-movies for some great 70s horror.

Yeah, you can't really go wrong with any of the Argento films. For exploitation, I'd say you should check out the original Last House On The Left, not the shitty remake.
For just good ol' indie horror fun, watch Re-Animator.
David Cronenberg's The Brood has always been a personal favorite.

Start with those three.

Thanks, I'll have to check those out.

Those are great as well; but The Brood wasn't a remake or an adaptation.
The Brood is all original, super bizarre, balls-to-the-wall Cronenberg; and it resonated personally with him as he was also going through a divorce at the time of the making the film(just like the characters).

I think it's the quintessential horror film at the time of the peak of horror(late 70's/early 80's).

I've seen most of Cronenberg's films and Videodrome is my favourite by far, followed by Eastern Promises. Dead Ringers is special in that I completely fail to "get" it, more so than any other film I've ever seen. The soundtrack is really good, but I don't get the purpose of the images I'm seeing on the screen, I don't understand what they're trying to say, I don't understand what effect they're supposed to have on me.

Dead Ringers would not nearly be as good if Jeremy Irons wasn't in it. He's freaking amazing in that film. When I watched it, I found it to be more subdued than Cronenberg's other 80s films, but there were moments where I was it was, in fact, a Cronenberg movie (the dream sequence, once he starts making the tools, etc...). It's a really good buildup and just well done overall

i was expecting Paranormal Activity 2 to scare my pants off but it was pretty underwhelming :/

i'd have to watch it again to be more specific as it's been a while, but dead ringers is my favourite cronenberg, one of my fave films ever. i see it as trademark cronenberg, perhaps the most horrifying of his various explorations of the relationship between psyche and body, surgically exposing the insectual drives which power the human brain and uneasily reconciling them with consciousness, identity, everyday emotions (in this case, predominantly sexual jealousy and sibling love+rivalry) etc. there are so many images in there that summarise his core concerns iirc, and the overall mood kind of squirms around inside you, it feels invasive somehow. i feel like he's invaded my mind and is laying out all the most repressed and fundamental parts, the spaces between ego and ID or however you want to put it. it's horrifyingly alien and yet also feels eerily familiar and bone-truthful at the same time, like a lot of my favourite movies.

Streetdance had a cookiecutter story but the dance routines were insane! and more importantly Nichola Burley is so fucking hot, i would penetrate her every hole all night long multiple times!