The Official Movie Thread

Recently seen movies:

Tron Legacy: Utter shite, the most nonsensical plot ever and completely uninteresting characters.

The Magnificent Seven: Fairly average Hollywood remake of the excellent Seven Samurai.

Win Win: Heartfelt but relatively insubstantial family comedy/drama

Due Date: Ugghh. Survived only 20mins.

Brighton Rock (original): Straightforward plot but a brilliantly villanous and charismatic performance from a young Richard Attenborough as a gang leader. Has aged a bit.

Black Swan: I don't agree with the hype over Portman's performance. Playing innocent, timid and vulnerable for the entire movie is not that difficult. That said, she did well enough with Aronofsky's one-dimensional characterisation. Essentially an over-stylised attempt at a Cronenberg film.

Black Swan: I don't agree with the hype over Portman's performance. Playing innocent, timid and vulnerable for the entire movie is not that difficult. That said, she did well enough with Aronofsky's one-dimensional characterisation. Essentially an over-stylised attempt at a Cronenberg film.

Yeah, it's pretty much Eastern Promises with ballet instead of Russian gangsters, and less competent direction.

Lilya is cute, but only 16. When the movie came out I was her age though, and I might even have had a crush on her, but I don't think I ever masturbated to the movie.

I've yet to see Lilja 4-Ever. The only movies by Moodysson that I've seen are Fucking Åmål and Tillsammans (which is a great movie).

I am probably the only swede in the world who hasn't watched Fucking Åmål. I've seen Lilja 4-Ever though but can't say it made any impression on me, mostly because I hardly remember it but I probably don't because I was pretty indifferent to it. :p

Fucking Åmål out-grossed even Titanic in Sweden when it came, I think. There's something about Moodysson that strikes a certain nerve. The above mentioned social realism - in combination with relevant topics - probably has something to do with it: you feel like you're watching real life, which amplifies your emotions. Even the teeny bopper world of Fucking Åmål feels like an extremely cold and harsh place.