The Official Movie Thread

I find it similar to EP in that they both deal with acting and transformation.

Except that in Eastern Promises the audience doesn't know Viggo Mortensen's character is merely portraying a Russian gangster until the end. With Black Swan, yes, it is all about the transformation. I think the "transformation" in Eastern Promises is false because Viggo's character all along is a good guy

but it's been a while since I've seen Eastern Promises. Fantastic movie. I heard they were making a sequel

***SPOILERS***

Except that in Eastern Promises the audience doesn't know Viggo Mortensen's character is merely portraying a Russian gangster until the end. With Black Swan, yes, it is all about the transformation. I think the "transformation" in Eastern Promises is false because Viggo's character all along is a good guy

Which is one of the reasons that movie is fucking awesome on rewatch. I'd still say there's a transformation, just not necessarily one from "good guy" to "bad guy" or vice versa.

What I mean is, yeah, he might be "acting" as a Russian gangster to begin with, but it's made clear towards the end that he has settled into that role and isn't just acting anymore. And you might want to edit your post and put a spoiler warning.

JUST GOT BACK.

Holy shit, THAT is a fucking movie. Seriously, I'm pretty critical of movies considering my family background, but god damn. Original, beautiful, stunning, action mother fucking packed, wholesome....this is what the film industry has been needing for years.

Wow... will definitely havee to check out these Moodysson films, they sound right up my alley. Downloading Lilya 4-ever and Fucking Amal right now. Imagining something like a mix between gummo, what's eating gilbert grape, and let the right one in.

forgot to mention I finally got around to watching Bronson over the weekend. Loved it. Tom Hardy is the man. The film reminded me a lot of A Clockwork Orange, especially in terms of how the fight sequences were filmed and the use of music

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually thought Bronson felt like a poor man's Clockwork Orange with a poor man's Daniel-Day Lewis as the title character. I really didn't like it.